What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#161 Post by rich. » Mon May 15, 2017 6:11 am

were you looking for one of these at one point for a morris 1000 project?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172670632165? ... rmvSB=true

Grumpy Northener

#162 Post by Grumpy Northener » Mon May 15, 2017 6:46 am

Personally John I think you still ought to 'Compromise' and think about a different model altogether - you going to stand a far better chance of locating & owning a more popular model than what you are that VW lash up - I mean what could possibly go wrong with a Ms Friel model
BBB7OuC[1].jpg
BBB7OuC[1].jpg (18.48 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#163 Post by JPB » Mon May 15, 2017 10:22 am

rich. wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:11 am
were you looking for one of these at one point for a morris 1000 project?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172670632165? ... rmvSB=true
I was, Rich, but the reason was that the automatic gearbox from a Datsun Violet or Sunny would have fitted the Minor shell without cutting the rack crossmember that gets in the way of a Marina sourced BW65 which then has to be mounted lower to get under the rack. That was why I bought the Corolla but it turned out to be far too good to part out, hence my using it for a couple of years. The Minor shell was sold via Retro Rides, which is some sort of forum, and is now running about in bare metal, looking something like the sort of car you'd see being driven by the mutants in the "Wrong Turn" series. :lol:

Chris, I will find a Reliant-built taxi and/or the T147 which is rare in the UK but obtainable in Germany & Switzerland. Switzerland doesn't use salt so there's a decent chance of a rust-free one popping up. The problem is that the T147 is so much more car-like to drive than one of the frankly rather unpleasant loaves (I can say that 'cos the late Mrs and I drove a solid, original example around the entire coastline of the UK including all of the islands and found ours to be a smelly, unreliable, foul-handling POS, to be as polite as possible), so owners enjoy their T147s, which handle much like a Type 3 and rarely come to market, especially outside of their country, but Japan is also home to some of the ex-doorstep delivery (so RHD) Fridolins and as I've already bought from yahoo.jp car auctions and have the hang of it now, I'd buy the VW that way if one were to come along, but compromise? No need for that sort of thing as I still have the option of driving the modern to a show and getting into the stationary engine area with a (600cc Reliant OHV engined) Allett grass cutter that I can also use to get around and see the event. You know crop circles? They're a myth, that was me looking around a car show in the jockey seat of my mate's mower! ;)

...But thanks for the Anna picture, that's one for the collection. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#164 Post by rich. » Tue May 16, 2017 5:58 am

this is lovely!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-V8-Pilot ... 3641.l6368

& you wont have any trouble with headroom in this john..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-SHORTY-S ... 3641.l6368

Grumpy Northener

#165 Post by Grumpy Northener » Tue May 16, 2017 6:43 am

John - Has you are pretty fixated on this VW thing (well not a VW Thing but you know what I mean) and allegedly they were part of the Switzerland scenery and can turn up there - should that be case I have a very good Jowett owning mate (one who I did the early Javelin restoration for) who resides in Switzerland - speaks Swiss / German / English - so if you find anything close to your 4 wheel dreams out there - let me know and I can put you in touch with Peter who can probably help from a language / logistical point of view (I am making an assumption that you speak English & Classic Gibberish but not Swiss / German)

JPB

#166 Post by JPB » Tue May 16, 2017 7:25 am

Cheers Chris. I did French and German as two of my highers but soon forgot more than I'd ever learned simply through lack of regular practice, plus the syllabus was, in each case, literature oriented, so car speak vocabulary tended not to be featured much. I'm still, more than 35 years on, having the Brecht-related nightmares! That man's work made James Joyce look exciting. :lol:

So yes, the services of a practising resident speaker of any of the three languages of Switzerland would be most useful in the event of my deciding to purchase something from there. I manage with watches, clocks and parts for those but have never bought a vehicle from a Swiss person.
:thumbs:

Rich, headroom is never a problem, but with tall seats you tend to find high roofs and those are useful for effectively walking into a vehicle, it's almost as though Toyota's equivalent of Nissan's Pike Factory saw my proportions and designed the bB to fit. Ford Pilots are indeed things of great beauty IMHO, but alas I can no longer get my knees behind my ears which I'd once have done quite happily to drive a factory mini, or I'd have modified the seating arrangements to use the space that's not there in the shorty. I have the torso length of a typical five foot person yet am 6'2" long (tall if I were standing), so imagine how much of that is leg, now add into the equation that my legs don't bend much and imagine how much work getting me into any mini would take now. I'm almost glad that the damned South Americanists confiscated my plastic Cooper! Almost. OK, no I'm not. :evil:

:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#168 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed May 17, 2017 8:13 am

John - Would this suit as an interim classic in the meantime - unsure if it is too low for you - but looks to be a nice motor - downside being that its LHD - but hey great for direct access to the pavement and not having walk around to the right hand side - and it would have a fair bit of grunt on that 5 pot 2.2 motor

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C870898

JPB

#169 Post by JPB » Wed May 17, 2017 9:47 am

Rich, that steam wagon is a very lovely toy. It will fit in the back of the daily vehicle and the seller would help either to load it or deliver to my place as an alternative. Tempting on so many levels as these can be driven around during a show and aren't thwarted by the regulations that forbid driving full scale exhibits between the start and the close of the event, in other words I so would, but it couldn't be kept on the drive at home and would need to be stored in one of the steadings which are half a day away. Nice thing though, very nice.

Chris, the African Audi is in fact RHD and the dealer has a few similar ones in stock, but it's also manual. Good idea though; an Audi from a time before the brand became a status symbol and was actually a car sufficiently well built to sell on its technical merit rather than its borst value in the works car park. :D
I like the idea of such a thing and might even be persuaded to try on an automatic one for size, though I'm pretty sure that the large Audis of that era are one of very few cars whose seat I don't need to raise fully to drive safely and in comfort. A quick search of eBay throws up a couple of autos, both LHD which can be a disadvantage in a place that's so well away from the nearest motorway. Still, millions of German grockles manage to drive their LHDs on the narrow, tall sided roads around here and only a few of them are hurt in overtaking incidents during an average grockling season. I wouldn't turn down an otherwise suitable car because of its having the wheel on the wrong side. Your theory about the ease of getting out straight at the kerb is spot on, but that's addressed in the daily by its clear front floor and bench seat with no obstacles to my simply sliding across, getting out at that side and getting back in the same way.

There are quite a lot of cars coming in from Africa now, but rust is a real worry if the cars have stayed around the coast throughout their life over there. An otherwise similar car, from a little further inland and/or higher ground, will generally be rot free but the country's diverse range of conditions means that the predictably rustless shell of a typical southern Japanese import can't be taken as a given with an African car, so there's a greater element of chance in buying from there. Dealers know this and tend not to sell complete rot boxes but imports from the trade are rising in cost since the referendum and the cost difference between personal and retailer-sourced imports is growing.
Last edited by JPB on Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
J

Luxobarge

#170 Post by Luxobarge » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 am

Grumpy Northener wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:13 am
- downside being that its LHD -
Advert says RHD????

Edit - John beat me to it..... :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.