What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#152 Post by JPB » Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 pm

EIGHT AND A HALF Grand! For a Multipla that needs some - though admittedly not as much as a UK one would - welding and is missing its middle row of seats. It's an intriguing thing though, and Canadian rust is so much more classy than the UK variety. Darned shame they're not easy even for small, mobile folk to get into and out of, though the middle bit would be useful if it came with a chauffeur, it's almost as large in there as a Maxi but even better looking.

That Carlton should be entertaining and the person who fitted that spoiler to the poor, innocent XJS should be proud of their efforts as they wanted a spoiler and it's living up to the name.

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#153 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat May 13, 2017 7:59 am

JPB said : EIGHT AND A HALF Grand! For a Multipla -

John it's cheap enough - if you can do a restoration on it for under £15k = total investment £23.5k - they fetch £30 - £35k restored on the open market so not that bad of an investment then.
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

Grumpy Northener

#154 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat May 13, 2017 8:02 am

Metrocab for Mr JPB (Looks like a really nice one too) - let me know if you want me to go and look at it for you

http://peterjarvis.net/index.php?page=s ... &Itemid=72

rich.

#155 Post by rich. » Sat May 13, 2017 8:13 am

i looked on the net last night for the fridolin & found one for sale, only €38,000
meanwhile have one of these instead..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jcb-3cx-sitem ... Sw~y9ZFfav

JPB

#156 Post by JPB » Sat May 13, 2017 10:19 am

Chris, thanks for that very kind offer to go and check out that cab, it certainly looks good and appears very well cared for, but it's post-Reliant, they were only built by Reliant between 1988 and 1992, as I discovered only after I'd questioned why the eBay one, although badged as Reliant and listed as such on eBay, was actually down as Hooper on the V5C. I hadn't even realised that there were so many different companies involved in the Metrocab's production between Reliant and the Metrocab-as-manufacturer's-name era. :oops:
Yes, there are plus points but it could be embarrassing enough to turn up among car club people in a modern Toyota, especially one with a bed, which would see me being instructed to park in the camping area. So though the idea of turning up in the "wrong" Metro Cab is appealing in some ways, :twisted: It would be like buying a Seiko watch with a 'K' build code when a 'J' version was available. Both watches would do exactly the same job, as would both Reliant & Hooper-built cabs, but I am massively soft on Reliant products and even if I stuck a Reliant badge on, it wouldn't sit right in my mind, along with all of that other stuff that's haphazardly stashed up there..
:|

Rich, I've always fancied having a quick hurl in a JCB, feel free to drop by if you're ever in the UK on holiday with yours! :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#157 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat May 13, 2017 12:20 pm

John - I think you ought to look a word up in the Oxford Dictionary - it's under C - try 'compromise' :lol: - I could just imagine being your personal shopper - you would have to have 'The Samaritans' on speed dial ! - however having said that I am just the same once I set the target / agenda then that is what I am having !

JPB

#158 Post by JPB » Sat May 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Grumpy Northener wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:20 pm
...I am just the same once I set the target / agenda then that is what I am having !
:thumbs:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, however, to be true to that description, I'd have to buy both a Fridolin and a Metrocab now, since both appeal and are suitable. Doing that wouldn't go down too well on the domestic front, as the number of times I've been single should make me realise by now why I'm more often single but, realistically, I probably have a several thousand percent better chance of finding a cab that fits my admittedly rather obsessive list of criteria than I do of ever seeing another example of, let alone finding in working order, a Fridolin.
Fortunately, I'm better than this at finding stuff for other people. 8-)
J

rich.

#159 Post by rich. » Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Grumpy Northener wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:20 pm
John - I think you ought to look a word up in the Oxford Dictionary - it's under C - try 'compromise' :lol: - I could just imagine being your personal shopper - you would have to have 'The Samaritans' on speed dial ! - however having said that I am just the same once I set the target / agenda then that is what I am having !

sorry mate that word does not exist in john's world... :scared:

JPB

#160 Post by JPB » Sun May 14, 2017 4:41 pm

rich. wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 pm
..that word does not exist in john's world... :scared:
Ouch, harsh. :lol:
J