Car covers

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Dobbin

Car covers

#1 Post by Dobbin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:05 am

I'm looking at replacing my car cover which has developed a number of rips and a few melts over the years due to carelessness and an over warm tailpipe. Yes it was made of nylon and not of the breathable type hence the reason to change. I've been contemplating either a Metex indoor cover complete with Ford logo for around the £60 mark or alternatively the Halfords all weather cover at £50. The disadvantages I see with the Metex is that there are no elasticated ends or ties to secure to the vehicle whereas the Halfords one is a good bit heavier but provides more protection from the occasional bump and would permit the car to be placed outside when I need use of the garage. Does anyone have any experience or own one of these and offer a recomendation?

Grumpy Northener

Re: Car covers

#2 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Best piece of advice that I can offer is that please ensure that it is fire resistant (surprisingly the vast majority of aren't) has a good friend of mine found out when a battery charger spark from a terminal set his cover on fire - a flash fire at that - it went from front to back on the car in under 10 seconds resulting in molton plastic all over a concours condition early Mk1 E type convertible - had to be repainted, new glass, interior, new chrome etc = £50k worth of damage - fortunately covered by the insurance company - so upon hearing the news we all checked the flammability of our own car covers - only one out of the many that we checked was fire retardant :o
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

sierra3dr

Re: Car covers

#3 Post by sierra3dr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:49 am

Stormforce are good. I got a bargain for £46 on ebay for my Sierra,but the cover is for a Jag