oops.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
UKJeeper

oops.

#1 Post by UKJeeper » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Driving home last evening (in the V40), and the gear lever felt a little 'odd'. And then....

:shock:

rich.

Re: oops.

#2 Post by rich. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:04 pm

:shock: What are the chances eh? Bloody Belgian monkey metal.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:16 am

When I saw the title "Oops," I thought that Rich had been busy again.
Attachments
oops-a.jpg
oops-a.jpg (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3641 times

Luxobarge

#5 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:08 am

Oops indeed. However, it looks as if that'll come apart from the top so you could weld it back - I know that's what I'd do! After all, if you replace the part then it's all got to come apart anyway, and if you do it yourself at least you'll be sure of the weld quality eh?

I'm a Volvo fan (I have a V70T5) but Volvos aren't what they used to be......
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

UKJeeper

#6 Post by UKJeeper » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Sorted! Got pointed at a breakers in Erith (Kent) by a fella on the Volvo forum. Pull it yourself (Fnarr!) place. Cost me... a fiver!

Result!

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:08 am
....Volvos aren't what they used to be......
It could be argued that they haven't been for ages. My 142S sheared its parking brake lever from the tube that carries the mechanism across to the driver's side of the seat, a simple fix, as the tube and the lever could be removed without disconnecting the cables from the yoke which, bizarrely, ran down the centre of the car, it appeared never to have been welded properly as the lever left no traces of penetration on the cross tube, so I ought to have been pleased that it had lasted over twenty years at that point, but the rest of the 140 series was just so overengineered I found this quite disappointing. I'm actually more surprised that the O/P's modern Japanese Volvo suffered from a similar failure as I've never met such a thing on any Mitsubishi, not even my own Outlander which was much the same car but with 4wd and a detuned version of Evo 8's engine.
Must've been a Friday car? They like their Friday, thae Belgians.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#8 Post by GHT » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:40 pm

JPB wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:03 pm
It could be argued that they haven't been for ages. My 142S sheared its parking brake lever from the tube that carries the mechanism across to the driver's side of the seat, a simple fix, as the tube and the lever could be removed without disconnecting the cables from the yoke which, bizarrely, ran down the centre of the car, it appeared never to have been welded properly as the lever left no traces of penetration on the cross tube, so I ought to have been pleased that it had lasted over twenty years at that point, but the rest of the 140 series was just so overengineered I found this quite disappointing. I'm actually more surprised that the O/P's modern Japanese Volvo suffered from a similar failure as I've never met such a thing on any Mitsubishi, not even my own Outlander which was much the same car but with 4wd and a detuned version of Evo 8's engine.
Must've been a Friday car? They like their Friday, thae Belgians.
Is there a translation from gobble-de-gook to English that I could look up in order to help me decipher this post?

Grumpy Northener

#9 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 pm

GHT said
Is there a translation from gobble-de-gook to English that I could look up in order to help me decipher this post?
I would not worry about it GHT - it involves a car that was built after 1908 so you won't like it :D
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 pm

:?

The O/P's car has suffered from a similarly sub standard weld to the one that allowed my 142S' parking brake tube to come free from the handle. Is that simpler enough for your limited resources, Gramps?
Thank goodness that modern cars have a left foot operated parking brake, it must make life so much easier for the average 107 year old man.
:P

Oh, and yes, this:
Grumpy Northener wrote: ...I would not worry about it GHT - it involves a car that was built after 1908 so you won't like it :D
:lol:
J