MG TF Question.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: MG TF Question.

#101 Post by JPB » Mon May 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Either that, or someone took it to ATS for new tyres and they lost the wheel spacers so decided to rag the car around their car park in the hope that the customer wouldn't then notice the reluctance of the car to move, as well as the grinding noises from the wheels catching on the brake calipers. :evil:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#102 Post by Dick » Tue May 12, 2020 12:03 pm

Someone had bad service from ats?

JPB

#103 Post by JPB » Tue May 12, 2020 7:11 pm

Yep, they effectively rendered immobile the only totally dependable car I've ever owned, even including the other old Toyotas, neither of whose a/c has worked since R12 became unobtainable (quite right too, it's naughty stuff) and I can't find any R22 to refill the system instead, so it's either change everything in the system so that it can run R134a or do as I'm doing just now; drive around with the fridge door propped open - that last solution only applies to the van by the way, this ATS-made cock up means that I've had no choice but to use the 'Ace as daily transport. Aww, poor me. ;) In fact, the van will come in handy as it's both long enough and tall enough to block the access to the four post lift in the tyre place and that's what's going to happen from tomorrow onwards if they still haven't bought me a pair of the correct shims, as approved for the brake modification by Toyota themselves. They did offer me a pair of monkey metal 3mm "universal" ones but that's missing the point and would require longer studs, the correct genuine ones are solid steel, have only the four M12 holes in them, have the correct 54.1mm centre bore and are a blue Rizla's thickness under 2mm, as they were designed to go with the big brake kit.
In their favour, erm nothing actually! :evil:

Nurse! My medicine please. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#104 Post by Dick » Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 am

Oh dear... go and have a little lie down and nurse friel will be along soon

GHT

#105 Post by GHT » Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 pm

Dick wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 am
Oh dear... go and have a little lie down and nurse friel will be along soon
The best medication for that scenario is for nurse to blindfold John. He then has to guess the colour of her knickers by licking them. Just don't tell him it's a male nurse.

Had my own little run in with a tyre centre yesterday. Bathwick Tyres, they are a part of a large group whom the parent company is Protyre, I think. The previous day I had left the MG's punctured spare wheel with them. They explained that the inner tube would have to be replaced, no one does puncture repairs anymore. The next day they phoned, the tyre is ready. "How much do I owe you?" I asked. "Good question," the caller replied, cue much shuffling of paper, tap, tapping of keyboard, finally he said: "Six pounds eighty three, including the VAT."

That same afternoon I called by to collect the spare wheel, the shuffling of paper and the ten minutes of keyboard tap, tapping were repeated. "That will be fifteen pounds please, Sir," said the tyre fitter. "Are you sure?" I said, "Of course," he replied. His mate then looked over and told him to do this, tap that, do the hokey cokey and twirl about. The chap looked puzzled, but he tapped this and that and finally said, "Six pounds eighty three please."

Later, I regaled my missus with the story, "Nice little earner," she replied. "Yes," I agreed, "and if I hadn't checked the price on the phone, I would have paid fifteen pounds, thinking that it was reasonable, because the MG's tyres are rare and cost eighty five quid apiece, so fifteen pounds compared to eighty five does seem reasonable." Shysters.