MG TF Question.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: MG TF Question.

#11 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:42 pm

GHT wrote: I actually bought her a kitchen appliance for Christmas,
i have trained you well :thumbs: :thumbs:

GHT

#12 Post by GHT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks to you all for your input. I have managed to make the missus see sense, Nissan Juke indeed. Cost me a few quid, but she's delighted, and I haven't got to worry about strengthening bolts, overheating and blown head gaskets. I bought her a real car.
Attachments
SLK.jpg
SLK.jpg (116.89 KiB) Viewed 4439 times

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 am

is it me or do i see a very badly modified citroen c5... :scared:

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 am

Nice Fiat, when do we get to see a picture of the "real car" that you bought for Mrs GHT?
rich. wrote: is it me or do i see a very badly modified citroen c5... :scared:
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#15 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:37 pm

GHT - I just don't understand it - where is your brand loyalty - with MG still being about I thought you might have purchased one of these for her to go with your YB
Attachments
thNGTRF7XV.jpg
thNGTRF7XV.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

TerryG

#16 Post by TerryG » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Kill that with fire!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

GHT

#17 Post by GHT » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:38 am

rich. wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 am
is it me or do i see a very badly modified citroen c5... :scared:
What's a C5?
JPB wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 am
Nice Fiat, when do we get to see a picture of the "real car" that you bought for Mrs GHT?
rich. wrote: Fiat? Your problem is you are in love with anything Fiat. Lada, Yugo, Poxy, sorry, Polski Fiat.
Grumpy Northener wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:37 pm
GHT - I just don't understand it - where is your brand loyalty - with MG still being about I thought you might have purchased one of these for her to go with your YB
MG died when they left Abingdon. As for that Chinese takeaway, I lurked on a forum for owners of modern Rovers & MGs just to get a feel of the market for the Chinese MG. One young fellow, late twenties, was so excited about his brand new MG3. He had posted reams about getting ready for his car, come delivery the problems started. It went back to the dealer almost weekly, he had such a miserable time with it that in the end, and even before the guarantee ran out, he took a four grand hit on it just to be rid of it. Says it all.

And by the way chaps, when I said a real car, I meant a robust reliable car, unlike the MG TF that she liked. What I didn't say, please note, was that I liked it. Do you lot really expect me to fall in love with a hairdressers car? Puhlease, give me some credit, I mean, look at it, I'd look like some nonce driving round in that. Would you be seen in it?

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:53 am

...so excited about his brand new MG3. He had posted reams about getting ready for his car, come delivery the problems started. It went back to the dealer almost weekly, he had such a miserable time with it...
:|

The manufacturer clearly catered for the traditionalist MG market by making them that way. After all, imagine if your last MG had been a Montego Turbo, great car but likely** to be back in the shop for rectification work to rattling trim, oil burning engines and premature rot caused by ARG's belief in paint being unnecessary anywhere that wasn't in public view, which was odd as Maestros always seemed much better put together.
But surely we simply didn't get to learn about the majority of cars, the ones that worked and were very pleasant to drive? Good examples don't make for very amusing reading, so consequently the internet fora are fed largely by the odd few who had problems, which becomes fact because "zitberger 0812" (random forum handle picked from a forum that isn't this one) had trouble with his car, ergo they must all have been bad and that's the way reputations are made these days.

**- Roughly a dozen every month when I last had any involvement with these. Owners of AR stuff came to Subaru in their dozens, in spite of advising these folk to get rid of the BL/ARG machinery through the small ads, which would have gained the punters healthy discounts (remember these?) when they didn't make us take their cars in px on new, reliable Japanese motors.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#19 Post by Grumpy Northener » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 am

GHT said [quotePuhlease, give me some credit, I mean, look at it, I'd look like some nonce driving round in that.][/quote]

It's virtually worth camping outside GHT's place of abode because at some stage he will have to drive it ! maybe just to shunt it across the drive, maybe because there is a problem with it or maybe because he has the weekly duty of valeting it for her ladyship - anyhow at which point of said driving you could leap out from behind the hedge and shout ' Oy GHT - You look like a Nonce' :lol:
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

rich.

#20 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ill get the tent

meanwhilejust for you ght

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... 40&biw=840