MG TF Question.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: MG TF Question.

#61 Post by GHT » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm

JPB wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 am
:| The bucket and the eye bleach please. That thing is somebody's pride & joy and I'm no stranger to automotive oddities so must be careful about what I write, just in case I offend someone.
Oh great sage of the motoring world please tell me that this is one serious contender for the eye bleach. Not even you who can praise the most awful of cars can like this. It's VW's all electric microbus. Fugly or what?
vw fugly.jpg
vw fugly.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 148157 times

JPB

#62 Post by JPB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 am

:oops: Actually, I find there to be something strangely appealing about that shape, though I'd want the shape to come with Kei class Japanese oily bits and a Toyota or Daihatsu label, in the manner of some futuristic next generation Sooty van or micro camper.

:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#63 Post by rich. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 am

GHT wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Oh great sage of the motoring world
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tea all over the keyboard.... :lol: :scared:

JPB

#64 Post by JPB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am

https://youtu.be/rn8IRqQfhaI

Why, oh why did the BBC stop showing the Herbs? :cry:

Oh, and here's a very tasty looking TF in the correct colour and with an MG-related registration number:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C954991

:drool: :drool: Lovely, patinated original furniture and not a K series in sight!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#65 Post by GHT » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am
Oh, and here's a very tasty looking TF in the correct colour and with an MG-related registration number:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C954991

:drool: :drool: Lovely, patinated original furniture and not a K series in sight!
It's highly unlikely that the registration number is original. In MG snobbery terms, the reg to get is either number first then UMG, or UMG then the number. I only found this out when some boring old fart said of my car: "I see it's from University Motors." I didn't have a clue as to what he was on about, but didn't ask, he was already driving me to the point of slashing my wrists.

Looking it up, I discovered that before the centralisation of vehicle registration, it fell to local authorities to register new cars. The letters MG were allocated to Middlesex and University Motors had a flagship showroom in Piccadilly, then Middlesex, now London W1. University Motors bought up all the registrations from 1 UMG to 999 UMG & UMG 999 to UMG 1. UMG is a doubly acronym. UM University Motors. MG My Girlfriend. So if you have a UMG number plate, the car came out of University Motors showroom.

Have I sent you to sleep yet? Do you like that TF? Listen, don't tell the MG types, but I really don't like it. BMC were a bit short of the readies at the time. They had hoped to get the MGA (don't like that car either,) ready for market, but as this didn't happen, they just gave the TD (Love that one)a make over.
MG TD1.jpg
MG TD1.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 148137 times

GHT

#66 Post by GHT » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:55 am

Here's a couple of pics to give John the heebie jeebies, and in case you think I'm picking on MG, there's a Fiat in there too. (What have they done to it?)
mg tf gullwing.jpg
mg tf gullwing.jpg (249.49 KiB) Viewed 148100 times
mg tf dash.jpg
mg tf dash.jpg (209.54 KiB) Viewed 148100 times
fiat.jpg
fiat.jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 148100 times

JPB

#67 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 am

:lol: What I find most disturbing is that they seem to think it's safe to spin a K series at over 8,000 rpm before it hits a red line. :x
Yes, the Mitsubishi 4A-30 (and many other Kei engines) are designed to run at that sort of crankspeed all day long and still be capable of pulling from 20KM/H in 3rd, but that's surely cruelty to the F's engine, at which I'm not having a needless dig but whose long term future concerns me as I broke the 1100cc K in a Wover Metro some years ago and had only managed to get a shade over 7k out of it before the flexplate and torque converter fell off, still attached to the supporting boss that had, some few seconds earlier, been part of the hapless car's crankshaft.
Don't judge too harshly please, it was a Relay Plus car that the AA had provided following a disaster involving my Volvo 244GLE, a well known circuit in Fife and an errant novice in a large, American vehicle with an excess of torque over grip. The Metro was split new with only 107 miles on its odometer, ergo it wasn't up to taking the same kind of spanking that the Volvo used to receive on the drive home following a track day.

But I actually like "Lambo" doors for their practicality! Surely every one of today's overly broad "Sport SUV" type contraptions should come with that hinge arrangement, a belief that relates directly to the growing width of the modern car and the way in which that growth isn't matched by wider parking spots. The Lambo doors are a common enough modification on Toyota bBs but, as they're not nine feet wide in the way of, say, the new Wange Wover, I'm ok with conventional hinges.
I also like that Panda :oops: . It's different and the colour is strong, what more could the aspiring Panda keeper want? Lovely thing.
:scared:
J

GHT

#68 Post by GHT » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:08 pm

I thought that you would like Tony, as in: Fix It Again Tony, you are, at least, consistent. MG, or the Chinese SAIC produced a concept SUV with those doors but the production model was toned down. Whatever, there's still nothing much more than a sewing machine under the bonnet.
mg lambo.jpg
mg lambo.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 148092 times
MG as is.jpg
MG as is.jpg (215.99 KiB) Viewed 148092 times

JPB

#69 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 am

Toned down, pumped up and made to look exactly like 99% of today's many other SUVs! The doors on that concept car look as though they would in fact have the worst characteristics of both conventional and Lambo-style doors as they appear to open slightly outwards as well as upwards, in which case the advantage of a reduced amount of room to the sides into which these doors would open is mostly lost but so is the simplicity of conventional hinges. It's an interesting concept in my opinion, but has any such project actually made it to mass production in a form that wouldn't hurt the feelings of the designer of that concept?

Oddly enough, the only car I could think of which comes close to carrying its conceptual styling onward to the production line was the Rover P6, a groundbreaking car in many ways and one that managed to be both cutting edge in its day and sufficiently "normal" to avoid scaring away the brand's loyal buyers.

*Reclines in his electric bed, awaits the attacks by Citroen's legions of devotees as word gets out that some bloke rates the DS as good as the P6 but no better.. Hiding now*
J

GHT

#70 Post by GHT » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:21 pm

JPB wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 am
Toned down, pumped up and made to look exactly like 99% of today's many other SUVs!
You mustn't say that, it's snobbery, but I'm glad that you do. There's an MG publication called MG Enthusiast that just has to be the mouthpiece for MG's new Chinese owners.
All the great and good of the MG world (which excludes me) gather at Silverstone on the first weekend of July for a weekend of MG called MG Live. The report in MG Enthusiast gives four pages to today's MG's and just half a page to MG's history and most of that is post war. Take out the adverts and the half page is less than a third.

So when you, without an axe to grind, observe something that we all know and that is a clone is a clone is a clone, it really does speak volumes. How do you fancy a job at MG Enthusiast? Look up MG Enthusiast's Bookface page to see.