MG TF Question.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
suffolkpete

Re: MG TF Question.

#21 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:07 pm

I had a 2.2 diesel version for ten years until some shaven headed cretin ran into it and wrote it off. Lovely car that gave very little trouble.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

rich.

#22 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:09 pm

suffolkpete wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:07 pm
I had a 2.2 diesel version for ten years until some shaven headed cretin ran into it and wrote it off. Lovely car that gave very little trouble.
a mate had one, it was a nice car apart from a fuel problem that no garage could ever find a solution to.. seems odd that mercedes would make a very ugly copy :scared:

JPB

#23 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:00 pm

For sheer driving pleasure, there's another sort of C5 that's a must for any collection...

:drool:

Mr Furze should have his knighthood by now, c'mon Mrs The Queen, why not give him one?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#24 Post by GHT » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:00 pm

rich. wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ill get the tent

meanwhilejust for you ght

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... 40&biw=840
Still non the wiser, I had a Citroen company car in 1980. It was a great big bus of a thing. The idea was for me to carry samples to our clients in Western Europe, in reality, I became a chauffeur to the boss and his three kids. The head honcho never learned to drive. I was glad to see the back of that thing.
Attachments
safari.jpg
safari.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 3536 times

rich.

#25 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 pm

thats a cx break, quite a lovely thing :drool: :drool: thanks mate :thumbs:

JPB

#26 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Quite possibly the finest car ever built, what's not to like about a CX break? Is that the eight seater, GHT?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#27 Post by GHT » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:50 am

It was an eight seater, to be honest I neither liked it nor disliked it, quite indifferent to it. Probably because it was so impractical, I mean, you needed an aircraft hanger just to garage it. The photo shown is not the same car as the one I had, mine was metallic silver.
Something that I can't remember, I must be getting old, while I was with that company I also had a Rover P6, but I can't remember if it was before or after the Citroen, no matter, I just wanted to regale you with a reminisce.
The Rover was a V8 and did it go. At the time we were based in Stratford East London, not far from where the Olympic Stadium was built, only I was there back in the late 70's/early 80's. My boss had been doing some deal with one of his suppliers in Speke, near Liverpool, it was late in the evening, I was ready for home, when he asked me how I fancied taking him to Speke, that evening. I didn't, but I knew it would be financially worth it, so I phoned the missus, got an earful, before telling head honcho to get in the car.
Just as we were leaving the eight o'clock news came on, that's how I remember the time. My boss, who had been at work since early that morning, zonked straight out. Up with the fairies. I took that Rover out of London, onto the M25, round to the M1 and really spanked it up that motorway. At ten pm, I gave the boss a nudge, we were outside our suppliers house, it was three minutes to ten.
"What's the time?" He asked, rather sleepily. "Ten o'clock." I replied. He shot up, looked at his watch, held it to his ear, shook it on his wrist, held it to his ear again, before saying eff me, over and over again.
On the way home he fought to stay awake so that I couldn't give that V8 a free reign, it took us about three and a half hours to get back. But London to Liverpool in just under two hours, I was doing about a ton twenty the whole way. When I'm a little less tired and can remember it better, I'll tell you about how that Citroen could motor, a little jaunt down to Toulon.

GHT

#28 Post by GHT » Tue May 22, 2018 2:00 pm

JPB wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:53 am
imagine if your last MG had been a Montego Turbo, great car but likely** to be back in the shop for rectification work to rattling trim, oil burning engines and premature rot caused by ARG's belief in paint being unnecessary anywhere that wasn't in public view, which was odd as Maestros always seemed much better put together.
As you have such love for all things B/L, you might like a quick look on this MGF forum. Someone, (i will avoid insulting him,) is building an MG Allegro. Nuff said.
http://www.mgfregister.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=19803

JPB

#29 Post by JPB » Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 am

I like the idea that someone (chuffin' genius, IMHO) has brought the Allegro into the 21st century in this way. It beats BMW's attempt to do a similar thing to the mini.. ;)
OK, so this Allegro is a one off and unlikely to be replicated given the absence of the budget that a massive German motor manufacturer would bring to the project, but regardless of the scale, I love the concept and the engineering would seem to be of a very high quality. A Maxi, if these more modern mechanical units would fit across its nose, would be even more interesting if given similar treatment.
:thumbs:
J

rich.

#30 Post by rich. » Sat May 26, 2018 6:24 am

JPB wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 am
A Maxi, if these more modern mechanical units would fit across its nose, would be even more interesting if given similar treatment.
:thumbs:
sounds like a cunning plan john... get your spanners out...
edit, something to give you inspiration :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dodge-Viper- ... rmvSB=true