MG TF Question.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: MG TF Question.

#41 Post by GHT » Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm

I learned the Aussie definition for thongs from a driver of mine. His brother had emigrated to Oz, my driver went out there to his brother's wedding. He was somewhat disconcerted when told that they would have him in a pair of thongs in no time.

GHT

#42 Post by GHT » Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Revolution Performance Sportscars, Better known simply as RPS Ltd, have produced a set of body panels for the MG F & TF. There is one panel that caught my eye, and that's the rear panel and tail light assembly. The TF's tail lights always look to me like an after thought. Not quite finished, but that will do. I've put some photos up here because her ladyship saw an MG F that had the full body kit conversion and we are talking MG TF again, sigh!
mg tf rps panels.jpg
mg tf rps panels.jpg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 21900 times
mg tf rps panels 1.jpg
mg tf rps panels 1.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 21900 times
mg tf rps panels 4.jpg
mg tf rps panels 4.jpg (141.62 KiB) Viewed 21900 times
mg tf rps panels 3.jpg
mg tf rps panels 3.jpg (162.67 KiB) Viewed 21900 times
mg tf rps panels 2.jpg
mg tf rps panels 2.jpg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 21900 times

JPB

#43 Post by JPB » Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 am

:shock:
Oh dear. Sorry, but please buy one that hasn't been made to look like that. :sick:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#44 Post by rich. » Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 am

those rear light look like nissan skyline... get her one of those instead & then let me borrow it for a few years ;)
https://www.google.fr/search?q=nissan+s ... GZLmLI7f7M:

GHT

#45 Post by GHT » Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 am

JPB wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 am
:shock:
Oh dear. Sorry, but please buy one that hasn't been made to look like that. :sick:
What are you apologising for? All I have to do is explain that the K series lump is shite, offer her a Beamer and she will forget all about the horrible little Noddy car.
But I feel faint, John, are you unwell? There's actually a car that you don't like? OK so it's a bastardised version of, I was going to say B/L, but it could be said to be BMW and the Chinese company SAIC.
rich. wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 am
those rear light look like nissan skyline... get her one of those instead & then let me borrow it for a few years ;)
https://www.google.fr/search?q=nissan+s ... GZLmLI7f7M:
Her ladyship actually likes the Nissan Squashquy, Cash-key, Nasty gash, Qashqai, no idea what it's called or how it's spelt, but she ain't having one.

JPB

#46 Post by JPB » Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am

GHT wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 am
There's actually a car that you don't like?
Yes and no. ;) I like the MGF for many reasons and have no problem with the idea of running something whose flaws - perceived or actual - come to define the entire design but, when someone ruins the F's essentially satisfactory shape with pointless cosmetic tat, it becomes just another candidate for inclusion in the Barry Boys forum's library of similarly ruined cars.
There are many upgrades that make sense, the transition between F and TF and Hydrasag to steel suspension by the manufacturer being among these, but the very idea that the modification causes someone to think of another car, as Rich did when comparing the rear lamps to those of a Skyline, makes me wonder why a little more imagination and/or flair couldn't have been employed.
To me, the modified car resembles something that Leepu might have "designed" on a day when Bernie's endless shouting had taken its toll on Bangladesh's best known car bodger, causing him to make a wrong cut or even to weld some car parts to his boots.
:|

And on the Datsun Kumquat; I dragged one of those off the beach a few days ago - making sure that the operation lasted just long enough to make the Datsun's owner start to panic about the level of the tide :twisted: - using nothing more technical than my small, underpowered Japanese 4x4 and a sub-£20 nylon towing strap. Datsun lady had assumed
( :roll: ) that her nearly new "lifestyle" SUV ( :roll: :roll: ) was a 4wd model. It wasn't. :lol:
21 year old Mitsubishi, 1, Datsun Kumquat, nil. Oh how I enjoyed the hours spent jetwashing all of the sand out of the Pajero's chassis afterwards. I needn't have worried, the thick, gooey layer of Ensis V remained long after the last grain of sand had been washed down the drain.
Moral of that tale: If you must have an "SUV", buy one with some form of all wheel drive arrangement or, if it lacks this basic essential, keep it on tarmac where other yummy mummies will be able to push it when it reveals its inadequacies in such a visible way.

And even if you have a genuinely 4wd Nissan, watch out for me on your travels as I can and will do this when the voices tell me that I must:
https://youtu.be/fpnMOvT2EKo
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#47 Post by GHT » Thu May 31, 2018 4:41 pm

This is what the modified MG TF reminded me of.
Lotus_Elise.jpg
Lotus_Elise.jpg (172.89 KiB) Viewed 21865 times
That was an impressive display of mud-slugging, I couldn't match it of course but last year's Goodwood Revival, where I'm part of the Transport Corps, gave Glastonbury a run for it's money in the mud stakes. I had to have the underside steam cleaned and re-undersealed. The first impression is that the car's tyre is flat, it's actually mud.
Goodwood Revival 2017 008.JPG
Goodwood Revival 2017 008.JPG (135.29 KiB) Viewed 21865 times

JPB

#48 Post by JPB » Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 pm

I can see the resemblance between one mid-engined two seater with a K series engine and another, but where the Lotus looks classy, IMHO, the modified MG misses the mark by a mile.
:|
Respect is due to you, GHT, for getting a real classic car that muddy. Anyone can park a shiny car on a nice green field and have members of the public drool over that pride & joy, but to plough the field with such a fine old motor vehicle must be especially satisfying.
;)
J

GHT

#49 Post by GHT » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:20 pm

JPB wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 pm
Respect is due to you, GHT, for getting a real classic car that muddy. Anyone can park a shiny car on a nice green field and have members of the public drool over that pride & joy, but to plough the field with such a fine old motor vehicle must be especially satisfying.
That's an acute observation and a very kind remark, thank you. Truth be told, I certainly didn't deliberately go mud sliding. It just happened that we were up to our axles in the stuff. You know that I'm something of a throwback, so as you just can't get the sort of shoes that I wear, I have them hand made. Just like the MG, they had to have a full valet to get them back to original condition.
shoes 21.jpg
shoes 21.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 21841 times

GHT

#50 Post by GHT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 am

We seem to have resolved the MG TF issue. There was a cost of course, there always is with women. (Chap said to his missus: "What do you want for your birthday?" She says: "A divorce." He replied: "I wasn't expecting to spend that much.") Where was I? Cost, yep, probably a couple of grand. On her wish list, before I die, way above the MG, is to see New England in The Fall. Guess whose going there in The Fall. Why can't they call it Autumn?