MG TF Question.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: MG TF Question.

#71 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:44 pm

GHT wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:21 pm
..How do you fancy a job at MG Enthusiast?...
I'd sooner eat my own eyeballs but thanks for the suggestion. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#72 Post by GHT » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Eat your eyeballs eh, I've had another b*ll*cking from the MG set. There's so many MG clubs it's difficult to keep track of them but one puts out a publication called Safety Fast. Really? That's what I got a wrist slap for, I've never heard of it. Curiosity got the better of me and I looked it up. Have you ever heard of an MG TG? Look at the number plate.
mg tf tg.jpg
mg tf tg.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 22325 times

JPB

#73 Post by JPB » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:48 pm

That MG has been showing 100 miles on its odometer at each and every MOT test since 2007, in 2006, it's recorded at 1006, so either the tester did that annoying thing that some do; forgetting the tenths and including their position in the total as units, or the odometer was zeroed and broke as a result between the '06 and the '07 tests.
Safety Fast is a publication that I have actually seen in the flesh, though I believe that nowadays, they're printing on paper instead as all of that body snatching was becoming stressful. Was the title also an advertising slogan at some time in the marque's past?

I'll get me coat.. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#74 Post by GHT » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Rekindling an old, but rather amusing thread. There's a car like mine somewhere or other that the owner has had resprayed in gun metal/metallic silver. Looks rather good I thought, I wouldn't mind betting that there's more than one MG type choking on his beer though.
mg-ya.jpg
mg-ya.jpg (240.99 KiB) Viewed 21890 times

Dick

#75 Post by Dick » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:17 am

I like that... :scared:

JPB

#76 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Me too. Is this harbouring a filthy modern secret beneath that shapely nose end, or does the original engine still get it down the road in style?
I love that the paint is clearly a modern upgrade, but that it's so tasteful and subtle I doubt that even the MG traditionalists would dare to protest.
These wire wheels however, they may find some haters among the avocados at a club concours and all the better for that!

:lol:
J

Dick

#77 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 am

While I like wire wheels they are a nightmare to keep clean.. id have to put some alloy wheels on it for daily use :scared:

GHT

#78 Post by GHT » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Dick wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 am
While I like wire wheels they are a nightmare to keep clean.. id have to put some alloy wheels on it for daily use
The wheels came in two sizes, the original Y- Type had 16" wheels and the YB had 15" and that's the cause of much heated "debate" in MG circles. There is a third Y-Type called a YT, the T meaning Tourer, MG speak for rag top. The YT had 16" wheels and if any car looks that bit more vintage, it does so with wire wheels. No Y-Types came out of the factory with wire wheels, but you can fit an easy conversion to the YB because you can get 15" wire wheels. You can also get radial tyres to fit 15" wheels but not so 16" and that is what causes all the friction and heated arguments about originality.

The reason why the decrepit types like me go misty eyed over wire wheels is because they were so popular during our youth. The vast amount of variety on car wheels today just didn't exist back then so the only bling available was a set of wire wheels. Ask any baby boomer how to prevent wires from rusting and you will be told by one and all that you smear Vaseline over them. Nowadays you can get wire wheels in stainless steel but nothing comes near a chrome set of wires in bright sunshine when you are of a certain age.

Having said that, the bit about a certain age, driving down the dual carriageway to Bournemouth with my 18 year old Godson last summer, a bright red E-Type came past, it's highly polished chrome wheels glinting in the sunshine. My Godson sat bolt upright, mouth agape, when he finally spoke he said: "Is that worth a wank, or what?"

JPB

#79 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:55 pm

^^^
:lol: Always wiser to say what's on one's mind I reckon. Unless of course you're a primary school teacher and you say it during a PE lesson.

J

Dick

#80 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

I like cars but i wouldn't go that far 🤣🤣🤣🤣