Will classics ever become affordable again?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Will classics ever become affordable again?

#51 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 am

GHT is correct, no VdP trimmed version of the Maxi was available. Shame really, it could have been rather nice, but would still, in all likelihood, have had mouldy fruit remains behind the dash somewhere. BL clearly didn't have bins on the shop floor!
:mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

3xpendable

#52 Post by 3xpendable » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:14 am

GHT wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 am
3xpendable wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 am
Talking of Maxi's. I remember an elderly customer and his wife had a pair of them. A White base model and a gold Vanden Plas and they were parked one behind the other in their garage.
Are you sure that they were Maxis? Code name ADO14, the Maxi never had a Vanden Plas version, but if it did, do post a photo. The Maxi always reminded me of some old slapper, a Vanden Plas Maxi would be like some old slapper with make up like Danny La Rue.
Perhaps you meant The Austin Aggro, the ugly little biscuit tin the got an even uglier facelift with it's Vanden Plas version.
Was definitely a Maxi, it was gold with a brown shag like interior. I last saw it when I was about 11 though, but it was this sort of colour:

2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

GHT

#53 Post by GHT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:09 am

As John points out, there wasn't a Vanden Plas version of The Maxi, not that it really matters. However, your "brown, shag like," description is right on the button. The back rest of the rear seat could fold flat backwards as well as forwards and the backrests of the front seats could fold back horizontal, thus making a rather good double bed, which was very handy indeed if she was up for a bit of rumpy pumpy. Shag like indeed!

Grumpy Northener

#54 Post by Grumpy Northener » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:49 am

The back rest of the rear seat could fold flat backwards as well as forwards and the backrests of the front seats could fold back horizontal, thus making a rather good double bed, which was very handy indeed
Well that's made my day (after picking myself up off the floor) Unbelievably GHT had something good to say about a British Leyland product :thumbs:
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#55 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:31 am

:lol: Every Japanese market mini mpv has seats that form a bed these days, it's always refreshing to consider that BL invented the concept.. Only they didn't, the Renault 16 had an even crazier seat folding arrangement that was a means to much the same end(away?) and the 16 was around for over two years before the Maxi came along. I'd bet that another French maker had already made cars with beds though, Citroen Commerciale perhaps? If anyone owns one of these extraordinarily rare hatchback versions of the 'Traction Avant' range from the olden days, perhaps they could tell us how it's off for sleeping accommodation?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

vulgalour

#56 Post by vulgalour » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:16 am

Renault were late to the party. In the mid 1940s the Nash Ambassador could be got with a full sized bed that turned into seats.

GHT

#57 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:13 am

Grumpy Northener wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:49 am
Well that's made my day (after picking myself up off the floor) Unbelievably GHT had something good to say about a British Leyland product :thumbs:
What did I say that was good? All I did was to describe it's deck chair assembly. I bought a brand new Maxi in 1978, it proved to be worse than the Austin Aggro that I had bought new previously. We only got the Maxi because we couldn't get more than a few quid for The Aggro, the BL dealer gave us most of our purchase money on PX.

Never mind beds in cars, I had a 1955 Morris Oxford, (in 1964) those front bench seats, I tell you, no I won't Terry might bar me.

Grumpy Northener

#58 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:44 am

What did I say that was good?
Well try this for a start
thus making a rather good double bed

GHT it contains the word 'GOOD' whilst referring to a superb model of the British Leyland empire and that's good enough for me

Moving on -
I had a 1955 Morris Oxford, (in 1964) those front bench seats
The Jowett Javelin designed in 1948 was streets ahead in the front bench seat approach - combined with column gear change and a handbrake lever tucked away under the dashboard left nothing in the way of front seat activities - even better the backseat offered a very comfortable ride and a load of space within the rear passenger area
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

GHT

#59 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am

Grumpy Northener wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:44 am
a superb model of the British Leyland empire
Get some therapy, you sad puppy.

JPB

#60 Post by JPB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 am

My daily car, a 2006 Toyota which is Yaris sized, has a bench front seat (that can be adjusted as one or by each section), column change and a parking brake that's operated with the foot and takes up none of that walk through space in front of its seat, but that large American, what about that? Well I figured that someone would know of an earlier car bed than the '60s Renault but I can't help being concerned about the fact that the Nash has a double bed. Worried what for? Because there would appear to be a child to accommodate. Anyone have the number for the Michigan state social work department?
:scared:

Then there's the steering wheel conundrum, Maxi sleepers were - more often than not - into the pampas grass and car keys in the fruit bowl scene (a fact that I picked up in 1989, following an invite to a special party that came as a direct result of my Maxi owning status at the time).
So, in a Maxi, the steering wheel could provide a useful way of chaining one's legs to the car, in lieu of a headboard spindle..
But the steering wheel in the Nash is too close to the mattress and could cause some problems.
:mrgreen:
GHT wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am
....sad puppy.
OK, here's one:

J