Will classics ever become affordable again?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Will classics ever become affordable again?

#71 Post by GHT » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:24 am

Do not, I repeat, do not click this link, unless you have a botle of eye bleach to hand. You have been warned.

Grumpy Northener

#72 Post by Grumpy Northener » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 am

Quote:

r On another note GHT have ever considered coming out of retirement?
That's a good idea.
Great - How much for the airport run to Heathrow & back in August ?

Apologies I will now get back on topic :scared:
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#73 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 am

GHT wrote: Do not, I repeat, do not click this link, unless you have a botle of eye bleach to hand. You have been warned.
:drool: :drool: :drool:
Bless it, that wee car is a beauty. With a little searching on a nearby interwebs, I found a an image of its designer:

Erm.. :| That bloke must be in pain?
:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#74 Post by Grumpy Northener » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:26 am

It's all down to your expectations - there is a wide range of good usable classics in the market to be had within the £3k - £5k bracket, if you don't mind a project again there is wide range available from a few hundred pounds upwards - it all depends upon how much work you want to take on - I have always abided by the rule of purchasing the best example that your money / budget can afford - if you can live with something a little newer there is a very strong emerging market in modern classics where really good, well cared for examples of motors that were £20 - £60k new and can now be had for under £5k and a large dose of them are just on the cusp of becoming classics within the next 5 years
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

3xpendable

#75 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:10 am

Well I've joined the Nash club USA! While I still want an MGB again one day, these are much more affordable and I've always liked them, so I'll keep you posted. Still intending on getting a Crossfire too ;)
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

vulgalour

#76 Post by vulgalour » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Nash are one of my favourite manufacturers. They're right up there with Studebaker and AMC for me. Really interesting cars.

JPB

#77 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 pm

:drool: @ every darned one of the above.

I love the idea that the first Austin to bear the Metro (albeit with added politan) name was also sold by an American manufacturer better known for their American sized products. I wonder how they got along with the 1500cc B motor (see how I used an American word there..) over that side of the herring pond?

To my eyes, that first image not only shows an incredibly beautiful car, but a car whose styling is uncompromised by later tweaks between a shape as pure as that and the eventual production version, yet that was actually built and I want one.. *Adds that vision of loveliness to my list of cars I want, straight into number seven on said list, knocking the Shamrock back into eighth place!*

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

vulgalour

#78 Post by vulgalour » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 am

There's a few vids of bathtub Nashes on Youtube that show just how big and floaty and just generally serene they are. They must have seemed as outlandish in America as the DS in France, the Princess in the UK or the early Tatra cars in the Czech Republic (or Czechoslovakia as I think it was back then). Utterly wonderful, bizarre and almost ageless things, all of them.

3xpendable

#79 Post by 3xpendable » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm

To clarify, I've joined the Nash Metropolitan club. They have good availability out here and as soon as I get a job I'll be looking for one. Here are some examples of ones for sale at the moment, all for under $10,000:

There's also this project, but I think I'd buy a runner

Those Nash Healeys are really nice, but boy are they expensive, $50,0000!!!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

JPB

#80 Post by JPB » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:34 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

You jammy devil! I'm extremely envious. :oops: Here, in the UK at the time of posting, I'm failing to find even a rough Metropolitan being bought or sold. There's one locally, but even that is a LHD, Nash-badged example whose owner had to bring it in from the Untied States. The guy won't be parting with that any time soon but he only brings it to one show each year and its poor engine never gets a proper run to warm it through.
Cruelty of that type should be subject to mandatory corporal punishment and a ban against keeping any car ever again, apart from a Geo Prizm as those are indestructible..
8-)

Good luck with the search for a car, I like the yellow & white one best from the selection you've shown us, but why not go for a convertible as you stay in such a favourable climate?
;)
J