My next leap of faith

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Grumpy Northener

My next leap of faith

#1 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:04 am

Some of you will be aware that I gave up the salaried career some 18 months ago and bought a franchise that undertook mobile automotive cosmetic repairs - it has been a real 'baptism of fire' and very successful - whilst it is far more enjoyable being out of the rat race and working for myself the demands of the franchise are very heavy - I either had to invest, recruit staff & expand OR take another option and the other option won ! So in September I released the franchise territory (by contract I am not allowed to become independent and carry on doing the same thing but it's not what I wanted to do anyway, that and recent back injury had an influence on what happens next)

At the start of October 'Flat Cap Classic Cars' was born - I have a really nice home workshop, enough contacts within the classic trade and the diary is filling quickly. This is a full employment circle having served an apprenticeship in classic car restoration I left the trade after 5 years but have always continued to own several classics and have restorations on the go in the background. 35 years after leaving the trade and now back in it - techniques have advanced and I am a few decades the wiser. It is more about doing something that I really enjoy but of equal importance is the 'work life balance' factor - nothing beats the very short walk across the drive to the workshop which is only equal to the walk back to the house. I have a few more tweaks to make in order to get the workshop to the standard that I want but this has to be balanced with the workload - talking of which I need to crack on - I will post up the interesting stuff that heads through the shop as it happens :D
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

Re: My next leap of faith

#2 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:44 am

Here's wishing you the best of luck with this, Chris. Are you planning to buy & sell old motors or is this purely a restoration business?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#3 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Are you planning to buy & sell old motors or is this purely a restoration business?
Bit of both to be honest John - although I have come home empty handed from the last two classic auctions (along with most of the trade) has the public are paying way over the odds for just about anything that is anything like close to classic :(

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:06 pm

good luck mate! :thumbs: do you have a website set up for this new venture?

Grumpy Northener

#5 Post by Grumpy Northener » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27 am

Hi Rich - I have a basic website setup for now and will expand it as I put more jobs through the workshop - 'www.flatcapclassiccars.co.uk' - Whilst I can always find room for the smaller 1 - 2 day jobs - I am booked until Feb / March next year with the larger repairs already ;)