Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
gazza82

Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest

#1 Post by gazza82 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:02 pm

:shock: Anyone seen this gem?

Open consultation: Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... c-interest

If you are owners' clubs they should already know, but pass the word .. this may need to be nipped in the bud!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

Re: Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest

#2 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:26 pm

gazza82 wrote:...this may need to be nipped in the bud!
Agreed! The pre-1960 MOT exemption seems not to have made much impact as cars of that era tend not to be as suitable for the daily grind now. But 1975 cars can be every bit as effective and as cheap as or cheaper to run than equivalent moderns, so these 41 year old cars could, in theory, become cause for justifiable concern. MK3 Cortinas, Vauxhall Victors and Hillman Hunters are all seen as "cool", these and more '70s cars can keep with the flow of traffic, can burn sufficiently little fuel to keep their owners from bankruptcy and are comfortable in a way that few moderns can beat by more than a blue Rizla's thickness in the perceived superiority of the newest tinware.

Insurance companies already offer preferential terms to those who get their older (pre-1960) cars tested as we do our moderns, the MOT testers typically find things that even other folk from within the trade may have missed and a requirement for older cars to continue to require an annual test is, in my humble opinion, a no-brainer for a majority of enthusiasts.

Besides; I for one would miss the usual humorous verbals that are as much a part of the joy of the MOT ritual as the leaving of the testing station with that fresh certificate in your hand.

Yes, definitely nip this lunacy in the bud or, better yet, bud it in the nip.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

SirTainleyBarking

Re: Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest

#3 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:46 pm

Noticed the bit about "Substantially altered"

Why do I get the feeling that we will then see a permit system for trotting out classics for special occasions only, and a yearly mileage limit.

OK I may not use a classic every day, but I'm of the opinion that if it's not capable of being a daily driver if needed, what's the point. \what it means is that you're maintenance and repair schedule is shonky
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner