Dashboard instrument illumination

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Dobbin

Dashboard instrument illumination

#1 Post by Dobbin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:36 am

I'm currently adding a few more gauges but unfortunately some didn't come with bulb holders as purchased second hand at jumbles. Can anyone advise where I can purchase new holders. Also the correct name for the various styles. I know some are mes screw in and some bayonet. ( like old torch bulbs) Most are for push in style but a couple appear to be clip on to brackets on the back of the speedo. These are all to fit a 103e. Thanks in advance.

Luxobarge

Re: Dashboard instrument illumination

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:26 pm

You can try these guys:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

There are some gauge bulb holders in the "Gauges" section, also try searching for "bulb holders" - I reckon you could make something work from these.

I've always had pretty good service from this company.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

GHT

#3 Post by GHT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Have you considered LED lights for your dash? On my old MG the dash lights were pathetic, now I can actually see them.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:18 pm

GHT wrote:Have you considered LED lights for your dash? On my old MG the dash lights were pathetic, now I can actually see them.
are you trying to cause trouble! :lol: :scared:

GHT

#5 Post by GHT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't have to, it always seems to find me. A nerdy wheel kicker gave me a right b*ll*cking for having LED's in the rear lights. No matter that they shine bright and help to be seen better, they are not original. Furthermore yet another of those Mr Bean types gave me a right earful for having radial tyres, worse, the radial tyres were especially made to resemble the appearance of crossplies. The fact that the tyres had inner tubes and the radials made for a safer drive failed to impress, Mr Bean was having none of it.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:38 pm

^^^^

Great Scott! Next he'll be driving the MG at 88mph in a thunderstorm. :P

I'd agree with Mr Luxobarge about VWP, their stuff is usually top quality and not expensive. On the one occasion I had cause to return something to them, they gave me a replacement part and a refund! Top people.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:20 pm

:lol:
i hope you sent mr nerdy away with a flea in his ear ght :thumbs: life is far too short to worry about things like that..

GHT

#8 Post by GHT » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Indeed I did Rich, we spoke briefly about sex and travel, as in f*** off!

SirTainleyBarking

#9 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Sounds like he could be described as ring ring - halt
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:45 pm

GHT wrote:Indeed I did Rich, we spoke briefly about sex and travel, as in f*** off!
good boy!