Citroen Ax - first French car?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
jaycey001

Citroen Ax - first French car?

#1 Post by jaycey001 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:07 am

Hi!

Well my Mx5 is off the road while I save up for numerous repairs and my Defender broke down in Spain and is still there... not having much luck with cars ATM!

So to compound my bad luck I need a cheap run around and have seen a 1995 Citroen AX for sale locally for a few hundred quid, 83k on clock years MOT and the past Mot's do not mention any rust. The reason im looking at a french car is because I may use the Citroen to drive back to Spain to rescue the Landrover and then register it out there (thinking spares and LHD lights will be easy to get out there compared to a Nissan etc)

So has anyone had one and is there anything I should be looking for on it? Its the 1.1 engine and previous owner has had it for about 3 years...

Thanks
James

megadethmaniac

Re: Citroen Ax - first French car?

#2 Post by megadethmaniac » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:54 am

mum has one back in the day a 1400 tzx if i recall.

Seem to recall nothing horrible about the car. Bonnet and boot were both GRP as were some other bits so rust is less of an issue than most.

The death knell for it was leaking oil seals in the head which would be fine for a long distance thrash but less so when cold. Other than that and a brake compensater valves all that was replaced would have been considered consumables, shocks, brake disks and other bits and bobs.

Seem to remember that brakes were nothing like as good as the BX`s

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:19 pm

having done a few cars, check out the price for certificate of conformity ford €150 iveco €500... i buy new replacement lights off ebay.. prices can vary, check before buying.. which country are you planning on living in?

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Look for signs of Araldite (other epoxy resins are available) where the rear window meets that GRP lower panel in the tailgate. I recall that quite a few of these lost their glass when people closed the lid a bit too firmly, leaving the GRP free to fall off.
Also, I remember that the inertia cutout was under the passenger's seat and would frequently shut down the ignition system under relatively moderate braking or when a larger person sat on the passenger seat.
But they're a decent enough wee thing to drive and any example that hasn't yet been lost to rust ought to be preserved for posterity.

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Penguin45

#5 Post by Penguin45 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:54 pm

Front inner wing tops cause interesting and potentially catastrophic problems.

P45.

jaycey001

#6 Post by jaycey001 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:54 am

rich. wrote:having done a few cars, check out the price for certificate of conformity ford €150 iveco €500... i buy new replacement lights off ebay.. prices can vary, check before buying.. which country are you planning on living in?
Thanks for that - interesting point! The car will be going to Spain but i will have a look at the prices for the certificate. Thanks :)

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:55 pm

have you looked on autotrader or in spain for cheap spanish/lhd cars?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... =p&adPos=2
:D