Any MG Midget fans here?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
gazza82

Re: Any MG Midget fans here?

#11 Post by gazza82 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Re-built a MK II Midget in the '70s (1098cc). Bought a pretty beat up and neglected example with Cosmic alloys (and for a price that meant I could sell alloys and get money back!).

I wouldn't start but nothing a boot lace to hold coil lead away from block didn't fix .. seller's face was a picture when we drove away after trying to tow it.

Lots of niggles getting it home with the driver's seat parting company from floor. Non-standard fibreglass buckets seats screwed to block of wood which was screwed through floor .. screws came out. Luckily my mate who drive it was tall enough to jam seat as far back as it would go and still reach pedals. (Not for vertically challenged me though!) Oh and wiper arms fell off .. we saved one. Indicators worked! As did brake light .. offside only!

Rear spring hangers were shot as were sills and wings, but it was rebuilt and back up and running in less that 10 months ... which meant the NEW MOT it came with was still valid while test running it!!! (Yes, NEW MOT!! You could see daylight from around the spring hangers!)

Lacked punch .. turned out valves on 3 & 4 were burnt, but still ran on 1 & 2!! .. head re-build and all was fine ..

Looked good in darker red paint, white roof and interior panels. New seats and carpets and the 10" steering wheel!

Only parted company as daughter arrived and my suggestion of strapping carry-cot to boot rack wasn't acceptable apparently!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

TerryG

#12 Post by TerryG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:03 am

gazza82 wrote:Only parted company as daughter arrived and my suggestion of strapping carry-cot to boot rack wasn't acceptable apparently!
Your other half really lacks a sense of adventure ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:53 am

TerryG wrote:
gazza82 wrote:Only parted company as daughter arrived and my suggestion of strapping carry-cot to boot rack wasn't acceptable apparently!
Your other half really lacks a sense of adventure ;)
i made a similar suggestion to wifey.. i was going to put her in the boot.. she said no.. :?

GHT

#14 Post by GHT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Any MG Midget fans here?
I love the MG Midget, what's not to like?
1953-mg midget.jpg
1953-mg midget.jpg (69.89 KiB) Viewed 1947 times

gazza82

#15 Post by gazza82 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Technically I think the MG Midget's being discussed here were only made from 1961 .. so what you have there is a T series.

The Midget Mk I was also the Austin-Healey Sprite Mk II, running the 948cc engine but with twin SUs unlike the Austin A35/A4- Farina MkI is was closely based on.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck