ABOLISH Road Tax

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
ayrshirelad

ABOLISH Road Tax

#1 Post by ayrshirelad » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi All i have started a petition to abolish the road tax and put it on to the cost of petrol. I am suggestiong either 2/2.5 % is put on to the cost of petrol and this additional revenue is ringfenced for the up keep of our roads.There will be more people to benifit i think and this way if you drive you will help to up keep our roads esp as it is costing mire to adminster the current system than it currently makes. Please sign the petition if you can. Thank you Mike
Dear Michael Young ,

We published the petition you created – “Abloish Road Tax Ved Tax for road Vehicles. Add2/2.5% to tax on petrol.”

Click this link to see your petition and start sharing it:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/120942

TerryG

Re: ABOLISH Road Tax

#2 Post by TerryG » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I drive about 45,000 miles a year so that proposal would certainly work against me, I would assume hauliers and taxi drivers wouldn't be too keen on it either.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:21 pm

Sorry.. Actually no, not remotely sorry for saying that this idea has been subject of more wretched petitions than pretty much any other totally pie-in-the-sky notion floated before Westminster since the online form became available back in the 1990s. That the department responsible for issuing the online form doesn't flag up the dead ducks automatically to prevent folk putting themselves through it again is unbelievable and undermines completely any cogency that this undoubtedly well intended regurgitation may have possessed.

Oh, and I couldn't find the verb to abloish in my dictionary, maybe someone has a bigger one with clearer pictures? That might help.
Seriously, what chance has a petition whose hosting site cannot even spell its heading? This in spite of the O/P placing the letters in the right order, albeit in Daily Record-style upper case just to ensure that we're all amply shocked at the very thought that we haven't been doing it this way since the dawn of motoring?
Go round the doors with a clipboard, some A4 and the free Parker that came from that insurance company who were giving them away, ask people face to face and then, possibly, this old curate's egg of a plan may gain some credibility or be consigned to Room 101 along with the rest of its sort.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:02 pm

If you want a fair car tax system and a return to the tax disc it's easy. All new cars are taxed when bought, the car franchise supplies the tax disc. Then, just like commercials and buses, all cars are MOT'd from the first year on. The garage supplying the the certificate has a perforated tax disc included on said certificate to display in the windscreen. The cost of the road tax will be included in the sale or the MOT.
Fuel, as in petrol, diesel, LPG and others currently has a tax on tax situation. The cost of fuel duty currently stands at: Petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol 57.95 pence per litre. Round it up to 60p for convenience. Petrol is about £1:10 per litre in the UK, at the pump. That price includes, cost of delivery, wholesale cost of fuel and VAT. We pay VAT on the 60p tax. A tax on tax. So stick the idea of putting yet more tax on fuel, for which the government can hike yet more VAT, creating a bigger tax on tax.

UKJeeper

#5 Post by UKJeeper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:21 am

:?:

Road tax WAS abolished, in 1937!

JPB

UK Jeeper already won this one, but...

#6 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:45 am

UKJeeper wrote: :?:

Road tax WAS abolished, in 1937!
Yes, and it only took parliament eleven years to reach that stage from the paper being submitted. That proposal came from a certain Mr W Churchill, apparently big in his day.

:thumbs:
In fairness to the O/P, many folk even now refer to the VED as "tax", including the gov.uk sites where we can check whether vehicles are currently covered and/or renew our VED.
Imagine it eh, an online petition fuelled by panic and misinformation, who knew that such a thing could happen? ;)

But maybe the duty is referred to as a tax in ABOL, which appears to be the nation whose "road tax" we're discussing?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: