Aesthetics, a matter of choice.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Aesthetics, a matter of choice.

#11 Post by GHT » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:21 pm

Does anyone else find the motoring press talks up a good review, when the opposite is true? I have been reading about the modern MG F & TF, it's often referred to as "The Last Proper British Sports Car." And what a jolly good car it is. You should speak to owners, better still, look at remarks about it on internet forums, but, you know, it carries that famous octagon badge, so it has to be good. Really? If you know anything about the K-Series Engine,like it's aluminium block, damp liners and stretch bolts, you will know, and understand, that unless you are extremely gifted with internal combustion knowledge, you stay well away from the K-Series engine.
The head gasket on the MG is notoriously unreliable, and if you cannot do it yourself, you face a bill of around £750 to replace it. That's just the start, those liners, they move, what a headache that causes. And the problem that those stretch bolts cause don't bear thinking about.
If you are talented enough to sort all those problems you can easily buy an MG TF for just a few hundred pounds. The advert will almost inevitably say: "Blown head gasket."
Yet for all it's problems, publications like MG Enthusiast, talk a good war. They put a great deal of spin on the aesthetics of the car's appearance and just gloss over the wallet busting, pain-in-the-arse, mechanical troubles.
My missus wanted to sell her Scala and buy one of those TF's, after I took her to the garage that looks after the old MG and the garage that services my Merc Sprinter, both garage owners explained to her the TF's problems, she decided to hold onto the VW. But if she does want a change, the Merc SLK is far more reliable although rather bland.

rich.

#12 Post by rich. » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:06 pm

a mate had one of those, he was happy with it.. never had hgf but sold it to fund his ex wife..

Grumpy Northener

#13 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:37 am

a mate had one of those, he was happy with it.. never had hgf but sold it to fund his ex wife..
Must have been a very cheap ex wife then ! :lol:
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

rich.

#14 Post by rich. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
she was rather scary..emptied his bank account for years..

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:57 pm

Hmm. Given the choice, I'd be much happier with an aestheticist on my team than one of those frustratingly indecisive agnostic types.
The computer insisted that the word I was really after was "anaesthetist", which could be useful in both a bar quiz situation and a mass murderer's well insulated cellar..

Ooh-er. That lass has watched too much telly.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: