Do you have a classic car collection? TV show idea

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
AttaboyTV

Do you have a classic car collection? TV show idea

#1 Post by AttaboyTV » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:30 am

Hi all- Attaboy TV here

Just wondered if anyone here has a classic car collection (say three or more classic cars)? Or maybe you know someone that does?

We are looking at the idea of a show where the host would visit collections of varying cars/sizes/types around the UK and Europe

If this might be of any interest to you, or anyone you know, it would be great to here from you, either via this forum, or at james@attaboytv.com

It's at an early stage, but happy to answer any questions if I can

Many thanks for reading, and for your time

(PS- just for info- love it or hate it, we no longer make Wheeler Dealers!)

TerryG

Re: Do you have a classic car collection? TV show idea

#2 Post by TerryG » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 pm

That explains the format change for the latest series then.

I only have two so don't count but if i get a third i'll ping you a mail :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:46 pm

i don't have any, but if the you are willing to give me some they would be really appreciated..

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Rich, I'll donate a few of mine.. Bring your own dustpan and brush to help with loading. :(

@ The O/P: Good luck with this, we have had several similar posts from other folk with ideas for car shows, all of those fell at the first hurdle with the exception of a thing called Car SOS, the bar has been set very high indeed by that show so, if you can create something sufficiently similar to be worth watching, yet sufficiently different that it also gives a fussy audience of petrolheads something fresh to talk about, then good luck with your endeavours. Anything genuinely interesting will be much appreciated as an alternative to "reality" :roll: TV, endless reruns of Jeremy Kyle's particular brand of vicarious misery and the f'n Clangers! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:21 am

JPB wrote:Rich, I'll donate a few of mine.. Bring your own dustpan and brush to help with loading. :(
if you could just sweep them up & pop them in the post, i would be very pleased to receive them ;)

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:30 am

Some might argue that our three cars are of classic status, and I wouldn't argue that the MG is. But, to define the other two as classic would be tenuous. One is a 1988 Scirocco, (my wife's.)Bought as a present when she passed her Ambulance Paramedic exams.
Scirocco.jpg
Scirocco.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
And the other is what we call the family car, it's a mark 4 Golf, bought new, twenty years ago.
The reason that others may argue differently is because I have seen the MG F and the later TF at shows, and recently I saw a PT Cruiser, just ten years old, the owner claimed classic status because the model was a limited edition. That made me smile, the missus' Scirocco was limited edition, VW called it The Scala.
As others have said, best wishes with your project, you will forgive me, I have no wish to appear on TV. There is, however, a very rich source of classic fleet owners at The Goodwood Revival, held every September. I'm sure that you have heard of it, but if not, just Google it.

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:25 pm

As I understand it, the Scala is one of the most coveted Sciroccos after the Storm. Many 'Dub fans would give their spare limbs to get decent, original examples to show and enjoy. That one looks fabulous and apart from one owned by another forum member, I haven't seen any other mention of the Scala in years.

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#8 Post by GHT » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:45 pm

She's owned it from new, so it's hard to think of it as anything but an ordinary car. The car is simple to run, and service, wind up windows, wind open sun roof, other drivers think that you are waving at them. She drives it everywhere that has a safe place to leave it. If we know we are going to have to leave our car in a public car park, we take the Golf.
There is one small annoying detail with the Scala, the demister slots in the dash are simply cut into the vinyl, they could do with some sort of metal insert. Ideas?

kevin

#9 Post by kevin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:58 pm

GHT wrote:She's owned it from new, so it's hard to think of it as anything but an ordinary car. The car is simple to run, and service, wind up windows, wind open sun roof, other drivers think that you are waving at them. She drives it everywhere that has a safe place to leave it. If we know we are going to have to leave our car in a public car park, we take the Golf.
There is one small annoying detail with the Scala, the demister slots in the dash are simply cut into the vinyl, they could do with some sort of metal insert. Ideas?
Could you get an inset / surround trim made up via 3D printing?

Kev

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks for that Kev, i'm not sure what 3D printing is, but I will look it up.