Wing mirrors

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
sierra3dr

Wing mirrors

#1 Post by sierra3dr » Sun May 29, 2016 8:20 pm

So when was the last vehicle to have wing mirrors,MK3 Cortina?

GHT

Re: Wing mirrors

#2 Post by GHT » Sun May 29, 2016 9:46 pm

You've opened a can of worms there, reason being, in the past, external rear view mirrors were fitted by the dealer. I can't remember when it changed, although I do remember having a company car, a 1968 MK 2 Cortina, the one with the crossflow engine. That had it's mirrors mounted on the wings. My next car was one of the very last non-tailgate Capris in 1971, that had door mounted mirrors. But why you will get differences is because you can still mount your mirrors on the wings, if you want to.
It would be difficult though because today's mirrors are programmed into the cars computer. Wing mounted mirrors would require attachments at additional cost to program them. Why are they programmed? My mates Merc had it's wing mirror vandalised. Cost of replacement, including re-programming, parts replacement and labour. £700. Go back 40 years, wing mounted mirror, not programmed, £25 of the shelf, fit it yourself in seconds. Wing mirrors have become a pension plan.
It's the same with my Merc. When I press down on the accelerator, I'm actually pressing against a pressure pad that the computer reads, the sensor in my Merc is kaput, cost: £300. Previously, replace accelerator cable, £10. I tell you, it's a pension plan.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sun May 29, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm thinking that the Washington-built Nissan Bluebirds - which were exported to Japan during the height of the demand - left the plant with factory fit JDM-spec mirrors attached, this because it's compulsory in Japanese law to be able to see at least a certain percentage (70% rings a bell, but not certain..) of the side view of the car as well as things behind up to the point of contact.
Or are we only allowed UK spec cars in this thread? :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Mon May 30, 2016 5:15 am

ght.. i feel your pain.. i recently drove a mint condition suzuki jeep thing, whiile it was very nice & like driving a bouncy castle the check engine light wouldn't go out.. when i asked the owner, he informed me that his local garage had changed the ignition barrel & while it was a genuine part it needed to visit a suzuki dealer to reprogramme the computer thingy :evil:

sierra3dr

#5 Post by sierra3dr » Mon May 30, 2016 9:32 am

GHT wrote:My next car was one of the very last non-tailgate Capris in 1971, that had door mounted mirrors.
oh right,doors mirrors existed in the 70's...interesting
GHT wrote:It would be difficult though because today's mirrors are programmed into the cars computer. Wing mounted mirrors would require attachments at additional cost to program them. Why are they programmed? My mates Merc had it's wing mirror vandalised. Cost of replacement, including re-programming, parts replacement and labour. £700. Go back 40 years, wing mounted mirror, not programmed, £25 of the shelf, fit it yourself in seconds. Wing mirrors have become a pension plan.
It's the same with my Merc. When I press down on the accelerator, I'm actually pressing against a pressure pad that the computer reads, the sensor in my Merc is kaput, cost: £300. Previously, replace accelerator cable, £10. I tell you, it's a pension plan.
That is just so pathetic. I tried to drive a late Audi recently,I did not know how to set off as there was no handbrake lever :mrgreen:

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Mon May 30, 2016 3:18 pm

sierra3dr wrote: I tried to drive a late Audi recently,I did not know how to set off as there was no handbrake lever.
Some cars in the US, have a foot operated hand brake. It's only used for parking when stationery, that is, when you leave the car. That's the reason you see a line of stop lights at a junction. Nobody even knows that you can hold a car still by applying the handbrake, they think that the footbrake is the be all and end all.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Mon May 30, 2016 7:52 pm

while i worked as a taxi driver we had a couple of cars with the automatic type handbrake.. all very nice but when i got back into my own car i would forget the handbrake... luckily where i parked it the ground was quite flat :oops:

gazza82

#8 Post by gazza82 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:34 am

GHT wrote:
sierra3dr wrote: I tried to drive a late Audi recently,I did not know how to set off as there was no handbrake lever.
Some cars in the US, have a foot operated hand brake. It's only used for parking when stationery, that is, when you leave the car. That's the reason you see a line of stop lights at a junction. Nobody even knows that you can hold a car still by applying the handbrake, they think that the footbrake is the be all and end all.

There are some in UK now .. my first experience of a "foot operated handbrake" (is that the right term?) was an AMC Eagle in Florida ... interesting reversing speed from the hire-car car park! ("Wonder what this doeessssss ??? ... <<expletives deleted>> "). Wasn't so bad on a auto once you got used to it and Florida is pretty flat.

Then I came up against an electrically operated one a Renault in Portugal .. but that was a manual and hill starts were almost impossible!!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Luxobarge

#9 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 am

gazza82 wrote:Then I came up against an electrically operated one a Renault in Portugal .. but that was a manual and hill starts were almost impossible!!
And this is supposed to be progress? Makes my blood boil - another reason I'm sticking with older cars.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.