Steering wheel covers

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
kevin

Steering wheel covers

#1 Post by kevin » Sun May 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Do any of you use / like leather steering wheel covers?

I have a few hard lumps/lesions on my hands that get painful after a while when driving the Singer and I am thinking one may make things a bit comfier?

Kev

rich.

Re: Steering wheel covers

#2 Post by rich. » Sun May 22, 2016 8:55 pm

what a nice place to be! never had a steering wheel cover... have you tried hand cream? my hands are usually covered cuts, bruises in lime or cement & usually a dollop does the trick.. although i sometimes use cicatryl works wonders on damaged skin..

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sun May 22, 2016 9:10 pm

If the cover looks as well fitted as the one in that picture, then I reckon it couldn't hurt to give one of these things a try, just avoid the type that's made from perforated vinyl and is tied on with a plastic stringy thing. I put one of that type on my A60 one winter when the shiny surface of that car's original Bakelite rimmed wheel started going crumbly and turning my fingers black! Wished I hadn't bothered as sweat built up in the perforations and made the wheel crumble away even more rapidly, at which point I put a different wheel on there.

Also, please avoid the type of cover that's coming up in an image below these words, it's foul and should be cause for an MOT fail on the grounds of bad taste :evil: ..

:twisted:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Sun May 22, 2016 11:22 pm

From someone who drives a car with a bakelite steering wheel, never had that problem:
But, what you could have that is not only good for your hands, it would get right up your neighbour's noses too.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 pm

Hmm, the centre boss on the MG's wheel is Bakelite right enough, but that rim must be urea, rather than phenolic (Bakelite) formaldehyde as Bakelite could only be black, walnut and a couple of other very dark solid colours. Urea formaldehyde, on the other hand, was made in all sorts of colours.
The difference can be seen in the cases of the black, brown or walnut cases of Bush DAC 90s, which are all Bakelite. The ivory DAC 90 (case formed from Urea formaldehyde) always suffers from cracks to its case above the dropper, this because Urea, although a step further toward modern hard plastics in appearance, is less stable in the presence of extreme heat. (My own ivory 90 has a capacitive dropper and is safe left running all day, but sadly not even modern passives can bring back Glenn Miller..)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#6 Post by kevin » Mon May 23, 2016 2:51 pm

rich. wrote:what a nice place to be! never had a steering wheel cover... have you tried hand cream? my hands are usually covered cuts, bruises in lime or cement & usually a dollop does the trick.. although i sometimes use cicatryl works wonders on damaged skin..
The issue with my hands are small lumps forming on the muscles, like a small pea sized lump under reg skin. Nothing ominous, just getting older!
The only reason I'm considering a leather cover is that my 5 series has a leather steering wheel and it suits the hands a lot better (power steering probable helps too).
The one in my picture are around £50 and made to order out of Italian leather.

One to consider.

Kev

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Mon May 23, 2016 3:08 pm

JPB wrote:
please tell me thats yours john :lol:

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Mon May 23, 2016 4:37 pm

rich. wrote:...

Sadly, Rich, it's not mine. :twisted: Kev, I apologise for picking an image which shows a nasty cover on the steering wheel of a modern BMW, I clean forgot that you own such a car..
:oops:
J

kevin

#9 Post by kevin » Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 pm

JPB wrote:
rich. wrote:...

Sadly, Rich, it's not mine. :twisted: Kev, I apologise for picking an image which shows a nasty cover on the steering wheel of a modern BMW, I clean forgot that you own such a car..
:oops:
Don't apologise, it looks quite comfy actually, not quite what I am considering buy hey, if it helps the experience then why not!

Kev :thumbs: :D