Mercedes 190E been laid up a long long time

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
jaycey001

Mercedes 190E been laid up a long long time

#1 Post by jaycey001 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi all

My grandfather passed away several years ago and his 1989 Mercedes 190E has been left in the garage, its in immaculate condition with less than a 100k on the clock however over the years the keys have been lost (although it is open) and it will need a fair amount of work to make it road worthy again.

As the years have gone on I have grown more and more reluctant to trust modern cars and all the computer giggery stuff - I have had a few major breakdowns due to electrics in various cars but my trusty Mazda and tdi defender have never not got me home... even a 1984 freight rover sherpa proved more reliable than a recent vauxhall! Anyway I digress...... How difficult will it be to get all the door barrels replaced along with the ignition barrel so I can at least get her started and secured?

I know she will need new rubber all around, a major service, battery and possibly a clutch and calipers - Is there anything else I should be budgeting for before I head over to Ireland to get things sorted. Anything I should know about the 190e, common problems etc?

How to I go about getting the car re registered in my name, when the owner is deceased?

Many thanks

James

kevin

Re: Mercedes 190E been laid up a long long time

#2 Post by kevin » Sun May 15, 2016 7:48 pm

A good mobile locksmith should be able to sort out the new key required, I do wonder if it will have an immobiliser fitted linked to the key tho?
As far as registering it, if you have the v5, I'd fill it in and send it off.
Good luck and remember, we love pictures!

Kev

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon May 16, 2016 5:18 am

There's a good keysmith trading on eBay, he only needs the key number from the barrels (or the tag attached to the original key) and will make keys with or without the transponder found on later cars, I had a couple of new keys from him when the better of my daily car's original keys started showing so much wear that it felt it was set to break and was happier in the locks one way than the other.
Can't remember his name just now as the paperwork is at home, but he's based over by Falkirk and can be found by typing "keysmith" into the search bar on the 'bay.
Good luck with the car, these seem either to need very little or to be completely beyond hope, I've seen rot in the usual Benz places; chassis legs by the lower arms' attachment points, inner sills, bulkhead/floor seams, rear box sections over the driveshafts, damper turrets, front crossmember where the radiator has dribbled into it, etc. I've also met some survivors that have been treated with Ensis V or something close and have, as a result, lasted well.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Mon May 16, 2016 6:28 am

kevin wrote: Good luck and remember, we love pictures!

Kev
oh yes & lots of them please!! :thumbs:

alabbasi

#5 Post by alabbasi » Wed May 25, 2016 4:06 am

Go to the dealer, you can have a key made pretty cheaply. They will cut it from the vin # that they have on file. I've gotten keys for 45 year old Mercedes from the dealer with no problems.
You might need to put the car in your name for them to let you do it, but it's the cheapest option considering that they already have the key on file.

As far as everything else.Drain the fuel and put fresh petrol in before you start the car. The fuel systems can gum up and CIS is really finicky about this.I would clean the injectors, and back flush the fuel lines to be sure if it was in the US because of the ethanol they use. If they mix ethanol with petrol in the UK, you might be OK.

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 am

alabbasi wrote:Go to the dealer, you can have a key made pretty cheaply. They will cut it from the vin # that they have on file. I've gotten keys for 45 year old Mercedes from the dealer with no problems.
I would agree with alabbasi, unless the key is programmed. I'm not sure what year Mercedes started programming keys. One of my Sprinters, when I had my delivery business, needed a new programmed key. Mercedes relieved me of £145.
You mentioned what to look for when servicing the car. In a 27 year old car that's been standing for a long time, I would strongly recommend all it's rubber hoses, including any that carry fluids, like hydraulic fluid. Check also, the tyres, look right down into the tread. If you see any signs of tiny splits, change the tyre, even if it looks unworn. Tyre centres don't just recommend tyre replacements after ten years just for the sake of new sales, the tread, wall and composition all corrupt over a long period of time. No sense taking risks with your safety.

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Wed May 25, 2016 10:09 am

For a non-tx key, the cost would be around £30 from a dealer, from the keysmith, who has access to the same database and has equipment that cuts from the code in exactly the same way, the key, if non-tx, will cost under £8. If it does have the inbuilt gadgetry then that cost rises but in proportion and is still much, much less costly for the same thing.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alabbasi

#8 Post by alabbasi » Wed May 25, 2016 6:05 pm

The 190E did not have an immobilizer key. Those came in the late 90's with the flip keys. Key cost in the US is under $20 from a dealer for a factory key with the nice rubberized head.
Agree with above, hoses belts and fluids, tires etc. I just bought back a 1981 E12 BMW 528i that had sat since 2004. Went through exactly the same steps. The 65 mile drive home from my hobby shop was quite rewarding.

Details here may give some tips to the work involved in waking up your 190E

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/120265-he ... -the-pond/