What new car suggestions... not easy!

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: What new car suggestions... not easy!

#21 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 pm

I could live with the badge, but a split new specimen of the Logan MPV is only a little above £9000 and they haven't moved on that much since building their Dacia 1310 (Denem in the UK, I had the sump shield, centre stack and tombstone seats from a scrapped one in a yard in Leeds back in 1985, my '79 12 Break was still factory fresh, the Dacia was a year old and rotten beyond saving, but as they were essentially just Renault 12s, I harvested it dry for the useful bits).

I was in a Logan recently, there are a load of these in taxi service locally as they're tough mechanically, with their Renault/Nissan/Mercedes 3 cylinder, 1500cc Diesel engine and seats that can be hosed down to remove the vomit stains. It was fine for the job but then I didn't have to drive it and the cabbie looked a little uncomfortable with his knees round his ears as required to fit me in the back behind him.
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

52classic

#22 Post by 52classic » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:36 pm

I remember last time we saw Dacia in the UK. Renault 12 called the Denem and the Duster which was presumably also Renault bits but not bad looking as an entry level 4X4 in a boxy sort of way. I think the concessionaire went bust and the remnants of the stock was sold off at BCA. I'm thinking late 70's.
Denems with bits missing, mainly lights and trim were only the high £hundreds with delivery miles only! I wonder if any survived?
Do I recall correctly that Borat's car was a Denem with no windscreen and shafts for his horse?

JPB

#23 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:29 pm

52classic wrote:Denems with bits missing, mainly lights and trim were only the high £hundreds with delivery miles only! I wonder if any survived?
I very much doubt it as that one I pillaged for parts to add to my 12 Break was a B plate car and was rotten when I plucked its bits from it after that first year or so of its life. I think that it was scrapped because the liner seals had failed and caused catastrophic engine trouble, the heads were fine if they were French or Dutch ones but those that had been cast in the cars' home country were apparently porous so even if the liners hadn't sunk, they'd still have died prematurely in the main.
The 1310 (Denem) was on sale in the UK between late 1982 and early 1984 so the B plater that donated my parts for the 12 must have been old stock, slow to shift. Shame really as the Denem had a lot of little tweaks that should have given the 12 a new lease of life but instead, the woeful quality rubbed off on the late 12's reputation and [the 12's] values plummeted in sympathy with the demise of the Dacia.

Funnily enough, AR Online has a piece on this very subject: http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/facts-a ... cia-denem/
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

52classic

#24 Post by 52classic » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:56 am

OK, my recollection was a few years out but otherwise not too far of the mark.

That blog is a good find John. Kind of sad that there are just none left!

Martin

rich.

#25 Post by rich. » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:10 am

a lady i knew had the original duster in the early 90's, a neighbour gave her 2 more for parts... she kept it for about a year then bought a diahatsu 4track :D

GHT

#26 Post by GHT » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:11 am

jaycey001 wrote:Just a little background, I currently have a defender 90 (tdi) and a Mk1 Mx5, prior to this I drove a Freight Rover sherpa as my only car... so as you can guess I like my cars basic and simple!

Now the problem is I have 2 young kids and need a reliable car to get us all safely and reliably to the south of Spain, potentially 4 times a year (and back!!). The other requirement is space for luggage and the option to camp out, either in the vehicle or via a roof tent, I would also like to be able to make a cuppa without unpacking everything to find the gas stove. Oh also It can not be a wide modern car as the roads in Spain where im headed are narrow and steep!
Max budget 7k, preferably 5k or less.
How long can you wait? You see if you can get along for a year before purchase this might be of interest.
AutoExpress:
MG aims for the Renault Kadjar with brand new SUV, set to go on sale in the UK in June from around £16,000
It's hardly been a secret, but MG has finally unveiled its showroom-ready GS in the UK. The mid-size SUV will be available to order in June and debuts with a new 1.5-litre turbo petrol engine.

The GS, which was revealed at the London Motor Show, is based around a brand new scaleable platform and will take on the Nissan Qashqai, Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson - but it should be cheaper than all of them.

MG also confirmed a new 'DCT' automatic transmission will be available on top spec models, which is a first for the reborn brand. The petrol unit is the only one available at launch, but diesels are tipped to arrive later.
By waiting a year you will be able to take the pick of the bunch from all the disgruntled GS owners who prefer to take a big hit on their new MG than to put up with it anymore. Guarantee that it's one of those, buy two cars, because one will always be off the road.
Of course you will need some repair and service skills, but having run a Sherpa, you will have that in spades. Failing all that, perhaps a pair of tandem bikes might keep you going.

rich.

#27 Post by rich. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:15 pm

JPB wrote: Renault/Nissan/Mercedes 3 cylinder, 1500cc Diesel engine :
i thought it was the same engine thats fitted to my 2001 clio & my mates nissan quashqui crossderesser thing..

JPB

#28 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:15 pm

rich. wrote:
JPB wrote: Renault/Nissan/Mercedes 3 cylinder, 1500cc Diesel engine :
i thought it was the same engine thats fitted to my 2001 clio & my mates nissan quashqui crossderesser thing..
Have you counted how many injectors are visible along the head? If there are four then that's surely the old shape Renault Diesel as seen in everything from R18s to scrapyards? Isn't it? I know that the one found in the Mercedes A class is the same as the one found in Renault's small vans and that has 3 cylinders. Saying that, all four cylinder engines have three cylinders but no three cylinder engines have four!
:mrgreen:

(Like I give a flying f either way.. :P )
J

rich.

#29 Post by rich. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:56 pm

they wont let me under the bonnet.. i know i fitted 4 glow plugs to my engine :D

JPB

#30 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Somewhere, currently being viewed by as many as a person every few days, there's a Volvo 960 Diesel on eBay. I couldn't find that just now, but that old tech VAG Diesel was a five cylinder unit, IIRC, but according to the listing, the car has six cylinders. I smell a conspiracy and it's not even the 19th of September yet.. ;) :|

Aaarrr, them as dies is the lucky ones. Aaarrr..
J