What new car suggestions... not easy!

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
jaycey001

What new car suggestions... not easy!

#1 Post by jaycey001 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:07 am

Hi everyone - been a while since ive posted but its good to be back!

Just a little background, I currently have a defender 90 (tdi) and a Mk1 Mx5, prior to this I drove a Freight Rover sherpa as my only car... so as you can guess I like my cars basic and simple!

Now the problem is I have 2 young kids and need a reliable car to get us all safely and reliably to the south of Spain, potentially 4 times a year (and back!!). The other requirement is space for luggage and the option to camp out, either in the vehicle or via a roof tent, I would also like to be able to make a cuppa without unpacking everything to find the gas stove. Oh also It can not be a wide modern car as the roads in Spain where im headed are narrow and steep!

SO obvious first choice was a Mazda Bongo type thing, but they seem very expensive for what is essentially an old car and there seems to be a lot of mechanical/body work issues to keep on top off, secondly is a defender 110 which im thinking about, but also know ill need a few grand to get it right.

All the other cars/vans/4x4s I look at seem very wide and I dont really trust them mechanically... so does anyone have any suggestion that I haven't thought of or advice on the bongo/110 etc.

I look forward to your responses and I will consider anything... even an old taxi, if I could get a good one :)

Max budget 7k, preferably 5k or less.

EricTheRed

Re: What new car suggestions... not easy!

#2 Post by EricTheRed » Sun May 01, 2016 9:57 am

I too am looking for a camping type vehicle. I looked at a couple of Bongos last year as in many ways they would be ideal for what I want but both had rusty sills and people seem to ask high prices for what they are. I ended up buying a VW T4 1.9 turbo diesel which was very good except that it was so slow going up any sort of hill that I just couldn't live with it.

I am now thinking about a 110 Defender, having a pop top put on it and doing a very basic conversion myself.

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Sun May 01, 2016 10:26 am

MK3 Transit minibus, available from 8-15 seats standard - long wheelbase so you can pull a row or two of seats out. The Tourneo (mk4 onwards) is a "luxury" version of the same thing. They are CHEAP and mechanically really strong.
As you already have a Land Rover it would probably be the most sensible to swap it for a 110 as you are already familiar with it. They back is more than big enough to sleep in.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Sun May 01, 2016 10:55 am

sd1 rover? loads of space & comfy..
or one like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25237324 ... rmvSB=true
we have a galaxy class cruiser like this, eats up miles fairly reliable apart from wipers & drivers door glass :?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Galaxy-T ... SwYmZXE0Ol

jaycey001

#5 Post by jaycey001 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:22 pm

EricTheRed wrote:I too am looking for a camping type vehicle. I looked at a couple of Bongos last year as in many ways they would be ideal for what I want but both had rusty sills and people seem to ask high prices for what they are. I ended up buying a VW T4 1.9 turbo diesel which was very good except that it was so slow going up any sort of hill that I just couldn't live with it.

I am now thinking about a 110 Defender, having a pop top put on it and doing a very basic conversion myself.
Thank you for the advice on the T4, I to have been looking at them but couldn't cope with anything too asthmatic on the steep stuff, especially when wanting to keep up with traffic. I will rule them out of my list... Thanks!

I agree that a bongo is the idea car, small, narrow, pop top, 4x4 etc but I just cant justify potentially spending a few grand getting the arches sorted on something that is as popular and common as it is, I am about to spend near that on my MX5 but feel it is a long term investment!

I will continue looking at 110s, I know the 300tdi is a strong lump, mine has 225k on the clock and I have driven all over Scotland and Ireland in it and trust it 100%

jaycey001

#6 Post by jaycey001 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:33 pm

TerryG wrote:MK3 Transit minibus, available from 8-15 seats standard - long wheelbase so you can pull a row or two of seats out. The Tourneo (mk4 onwards) is a "luxury" version of the same thing. They are CHEAP and mechanically really strong.
As you already have a Land Rover it would probably be the most sensible to swap it for a 110 as you are already familiar with it. They back is more than big enough to sleep in.
Interestingly I do have a transit minibus Mk3 with the non turbo 2.5Di (its not actually mine but belongs to a business i run with a friend) I find it is O.K and always starts pretty much first time, despite only being used once or twice a month!

I do find the front seats really uncomfortable for a long run though and rusty arches and sills is an issue with them... i suppose if i could find a good one I might be tempted, although in SWB due to the hair pin bends on the country roads in Andalusia.

is there anything i should particularly be looking at mechanically on them?

GHT

#7 Post by GHT » Sun May 01, 2016 5:54 pm

You are a tad too early I'm afraid, but no harm having a look. VW brings back the camper van.

EricTheRed

#8 Post by EricTheRed » Sun May 01, 2016 8:31 pm

jaycey001 wrote: Thank you for the advice on the T4, I to have been looking at them but couldn't cope with anything too asthmatic on the steep stuff, especially when wanting to keep up with traffic. I will rule them out of my list... Thanks!
Later diesel T4s had bigger engines - a 2.4 then 2.5 litre which presumably are less sluggish! But all VW vans seem expensive for what they are.

TerryG

#9 Post by TerryG » Sun May 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Have a look for some GLX or Tourneo front seats, they are much comfier and leather was an option.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Mon May 02, 2016 5:31 am

if you do facebook look up ford transit self build several converted vans for sale or just to give you an idea :D