National drive it day

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: National drive it day

#11 Post by GHT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Was it drive it day yesterday? That explains why I saw a rather long cavalcade of geriatric motor bikes, riding in convoy through The New Forest, probably heading towards Sammy Miller'splace. Blissfully unaware of drive it day, my wife and I went to a rather good birthday party, held in the grounds, and I do mean grounds, of the birthday boy's palatial home.
As we are all fans of the 30's & 40's there was quite a parade vintage metal. My 1952 MG was given a free pass on account of it being designed in 1937. There was also quite a vintage fashion show too, as well as an eleven piece band, marquee, hog roast, cream tea, more booze than the local pub and a couple of 40's military machines. It was a great party.

3xpendable

#12 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm

rich. wrote:
your making me jelous!! i spent the day walking behind me classic yamaha ylm 553 lawnmower... its a pig to start & the ride on is broken.... :(
Hahaha :)
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

sierra3dr

#13 Post by sierra3dr » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:03 pm

it is National drive it day everyday for me,Cortina MK5. Or is it a Cortina 80?

arceye

#14 Post by arceye » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Well I didn't get to drive a classic as the Austin isn't quite ready and I was 450 miles away from home down in sunny Lancashire with the missus in her modern.
BUT I did see the most gorgeous 1920's or so open top job, the sort of thing I can only dream of owning and those dreams always end rather embarrassingly if the wife is about :lol: :oops: :scared:

Pretty sure the word SCOTT was scrolled down its rather majestic radiator, don't know much about them but I'd probably swap an arm and 1 b**lock for it but don't suppose its owner would be interested in my offer :cry:

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Hmm, the arm might be of some use, especially if it's the one that leads when you're fettling ancient machinery. The other component that you offered as a trade might be of limited use as most women need a pair of these things to wear as earrings but wouldn't have much use for a solo one.
Arceye, I reckon you could do a great job with something from the twenties. You already did that lovely Riley and many of the skills you needed to deal with that car's mode of construction are transferable to earlier motors.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#16 Post by arceye » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:35 am

:D :lol: Cheers John, but alas as I'm in need of at least one of the latter component I'm pretty sure my 1920's motoring dreams will go unfulfilled :cry: