scrappage scheme cars

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)

3xpendable

Re: scrappage scheme cars

#2 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:45 am

THIS had an MOT?

What I don't get too, is some of these cars were easily worth more than the £2000 they'd have gotten off a new car, why not sell them then use that cash as discount?

I shudder to think of the idiot who traded something say like a Range Rover in for a Kia Picanto.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:18 pm

That range rover looks smart from that camera angle. I'm sure I could sneak it out and hide it at the back of the driveway without SWMBO noticing ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:42 pm

3xpendable wrote:What I don't get too, is some of these cars were easily worth more than the £2000 they'd have gotten off a new car, why not sell them then use that cash as discount?
Not at the time you couldn't, people were not getting anything in part exchange. Car traders, both new and second hand, suffered greatly. Chrysler actually offered two PT Cruisers for the price of one, if you had the cash. General Motors had to have a cash injection from the American Government. The bankers had brought the world to it's knees with their avarice and lack of morals.

We are all very lucky that the crash of the 1930's didn't repeat itself. The scrappage scheme was a way of kick starting the economy, but was it thought through? Maybe the organisers of the scheme didn't expect the fields full of cars that they got. Part of the bill, that was the scrappage scheme, stated that all cars had to be crushed once their fuel and fluids were removed. There's nothing stopping Parliament from reversing that clause in the law. If they were to trial say, 500 cars in a well publicised auction, it would gauge the reaction of the buying public. The cost of crushing, transport and disposing of the car carcasses has to be born by the tax payer, that cost alone would be saved if the cars were sold off.

If you turn back the clock fifty years, the railways, which at the time were nationalised, scrapped all their steam trains, they were sold to scrap dealers around the country for about three to three and a half grand a piece. In today's value? Possibly about £50K. One of those scrap dealers didn't break up his allocation of engines, as a result, all the heritage preserved railways went to him and bought, over a period of time, his entire stock, at an average price of five grand. I really believe that all those cars, or at least the vast majority would achieve a similar result.

3xpendable

#5 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Ah yes, Dai Woodham and the Barry scrapyard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodham_Brothers
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 am

The Barry scrapyard it was indeed: This old lady has had a scrappage reprieve a few times:

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:35 am

I've seen Flying Scotsman out and about recently and although the quality of the restoration work is well up to concours d'état standard, I wish they'd returned her to her LNER livery. Why, oh why did the old girl find herself in BR colours with the later number? 60103 indeed! Granddad would be spinning in his grave had he not been cremated.
:(

My Grandfather on Mother's side was a fireman with the LNER and was fortunate enough to be on the team who fed her on the east coast when she was between Belford Station and Waverley. Dad still uses Granddad's work shovel around their grounds, he's well aware of its provenance but to him, it's neither more nor less than a functional thing. See when I inherit, that's being wiped over with an oily rag and set on the wall in a display frame!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: