British Motor Museum (aka Gaydon) - collection centre

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Talking Hoarse

British Motor Museum (aka Gaydon) - collection centre

#1 Post by Talking Hoarse » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:30 am

I have added a couple of pics of the plastic Mini in another thread. A few more I took yesterday:
WP_20160319_007.jpg
WP_20160319_007.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Where else will you see a workshop with a D Type next to a Fiesta - separated by 60 years etc.
WP_20160319_010.jpg
WP_20160319_010.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
WP_20160319_011.jpg
WP_20160319_011.jpg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
WP_20160319_012.jpg
WP_20160319_012.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
And 3 pics of 2 "Dolomite" prototypes - (maybe for Johns consumption ...)
Ed

Talking Hoarse

Re: British Motor Museum (aka Gaydon) - collection centre

#2 Post by Talking Hoarse » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 am

And my own favourite - the one I would like to drive to the shops etc. A Metro van mule for MGF complete with rear engine etc.
WP_20160319_008.jpg
WP_20160319_008.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
WP_20160319_009.jpg
WP_20160319_009.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 2596 times

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:11 pm

I imagine that the Metro would be pretty entertaining to drive, especially if it could be replicated using the CVT that also came with the MGF. Excellent idea and who needs the extra pair of seats in any case?
:lol:

I wouldn't have another Dolomite these days, but only for the same reason that I wouldn't have a Ford Granada, this in spite of the fact that both are splendid motors which I like massively, but the social scene that comes with older Japanese stuff is so much less anally retentive and snobbery among enthusiasts is something that has been noticeable by its absence in venues populated by fellow owners of Japanese brands including the ones who turn up in concours LS400s and £50k rarities but are just as genuinely pleased to see Micras and similar.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:21 pm

JPB wrote:I wouldn't have another Dolomite these days, but only for the same reason that I wouldn't have a Ford Granada, this in spite of the fact that both are splendid motors which I like massively, but the social scene that comes with older Japanese stuff is so much less anally retentive and snobbery among enthusiasts is something that has been noticeable by its absence in venues populated by fellow owners of Japanese brands including the ones who turn up in concours LS400s and £50k rarities but are just as genuinely pleased to see Micras and similar.
For the same reason I wouldn't have an MGB GT, or a Minor Traveller, both of which I like, but life's too short for, anal retention & elitism.

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:51 am

its not the b owners that can be like that, ive been to the shows.. some mg owners can be very odd.... the worst ive met are jag owners, dont touch dont look & just go away polite version!.. met some morgan & lotus owners, nice lads & if wifey hadnt dragged me away i would still be there now!

Luxobarge

#6 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:36 am

GHT wrote:For the same reason I wouldn't have an MGB GT, or a Minor Traveller, both of which I like, but life's too short for, anal retention & elitism.
As I own an MG and a Minor (and a Jag actually, Rich) I'm getting more than a little irritated by these swipes at the owners of such cars - can we keep it friendly please?

I'm not the only owner on this forum either, and so far as I know none of us suffer from anal retention or elitism.

Thanks! ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:58 am

I've had a jag (x-type), mog traveller and a BMW 5 series.
I've never had a problem with someone because of the car they own or had someone take issue with me for it. Lots of people are REALLY annoying but it doesn't matter if they have a mini or a roller.
I'd have another traveller, they get attention in a good way but they do make you late everywhere as you can't stop without someone wanting to talk about it.
The x-type was OK but I can't think of a good reason to buy another one, same for the 5 series.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

3xpendable

#8 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:56 am

Luxobarge wrote:
GHT wrote:For the same reason I wouldn't have an MGB GT, or a Minor Traveller, both of which I like, but life's too short for, anal retention & elitism.
As I own an MG and a Minor (and a Jag actually, Rich) I'm getting more than a little irritated by these swipes at the owners of such cars - can we keep it friendly please?

I'm not the only owner on this forum either, and so far as I know none of us suffer from anal retention or elitism.

Thanks! ;)
I own an MGB GT and have never had any issues of eliteism. It's the person more than the car, though I will say classic Fords (especially the 80's variety) attract the yobs In my experience. My brother is into Hillman Imps, and he is a mahhosive eliteist!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:50 pm

not meaning to offend chaps, i owned several mgs & while at shows would ask questions & found some of the owners very rude! when i took my own cars i made an effort to be helpful & as soon as the bonnet was open people were all over the car, some just asking questions on how to put their car own back together.. the jag display at one show was the one that put me off jag owners, the owners for some reason were just plain obnoxious.. i would still like a jag, when funds allow.. on the other hand the nicest bunch ive met were morgan owners, they even let me & wifey try their own cars for size! even after i explained while i would love one its only ever going to be on my drive after i get the lottery up.. the worst person i know for car snobbery is my cousin, he always criticized my car whatever it was, even when i bought the same model he owned
his was better as it had some random twr exhaust part on it. :D

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Luxobarge wrote:As I own an MG and a Minor (and a Jag actually, Rich) I'm getting more than a little irritated by these swipes at the owners of such cars - can we keep it friendly please?
My apologies to you, you are right, generalisations are not helpful. For what it's worth, I rarely go to any classic shows anymore, the lack of any sort of friendliness these days, at some of these shows, led me to believe that for some, the friendly gene must have run down their mother's leg at the moment of conception.
More than once I have been berated for not joining an MG car club. I didn't get something like a list of the benefits or purchase discounts. I got, in answer to: "Are you in the MG club?" "No." "WHY!"
That immediately puts my back up, but as others have said, it's the person not the car club. Enjoy your Minor and MG, and enjoy this forum. I'll keep my thoughts to myself in future. And by only attending vintage events, that's where the cars have running boards, external headlamps, gull wing bonnets and so on, I'm not going to come into contact with anyone from the classic car scene.