decisions and dilemmas

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Murray

decisions and dilemmas

#1 Post by Murray » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Good evening all
I have for the last few years owned a nice little 1997 UK MK1 MX-5 which I have used almost daily and also used it to take me on some very memorable trips and holidays.
A few months ago I was told of an MG Midget 1275 RWA of 1971 vintage which had been stood outside since 2002 but appeared quite solid.
Well I ended up getting the Midget for,well nothing really.
I took the Midget home and it took the place of the Mazda in the garage.
Now here is the dilemma, my Mazda is now suffering from the dreaded tin worm and having already had the sills repaired I'm a bit fed up seeing the rust bubbling on the front wing.
The Midget is fairly rust free apart from one patch required on the sill,but it has been fitted with a fibreglass front and and also unusually a complete fibreglass rear end.
Do I , repair the Midget and keep that as my classic, or sell the Midget and have the Mazda repaired and popped back in the garage and buy a daily car to run around in for the winter.
I appreciate the Midget is viewed as a classic but the Mazda is an up an coming classic and we have been through a lot together.
So Midget with glass fibre panels or repaired Mx-5?

GHT

Re: decisions and dilemmas

#2 Post by GHT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Whatever anybody advises you, Murray, it will be their preference not your's. Is it possible to store one of the cars somewhere? But whatever you do decide here's a good tip to keep the tin worm at bay. Go to a carpet store, those books of carpet samples that they have to show customers get changed quite frequently. Grab one out of the skip at the back of the shop rip out four squares and place them on the garage floor exactly in the car's parking position. They absorb moisture, when they feel damp, sling them out and replace with four more. And, if your garage has a window, leave it open slightly, as long as it's not a security risk. On open window allows for air circulation which deters damp, even if it's raining.
Which car to keep? Show us both of them and conduct a poll. Then do whatever it is you want to do.

Murray

#3 Post by Murray » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Murray

#4 Post by Murray » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Cheers
The garage is fairly new and dry with plenty of ventilation.
I think my heart says keep the Mazda but my head says the Midget is the rarer of the two even though it has been modified.

Murray

#5 Post by Murray » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:51 pm

jpsh120

#6 Post by jpsh120 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:58 pm

I think you would miss the mazda if you let it go. See if you can get a council lock up somewhere close, the midget should be OK in there as it is largely fibreglass.
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 pm

keep the mazda.. if you must keep the mg can you get one of those car tent things?
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... EQrQMIQjAM

if you must get rid of the 5 ive got a large car sized hole in my shed now but can only afford to pay you in not so magic beans... :(

kevin

#8 Post by kevin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:39 am

I would seriously look at keeping both.
I have an early (1990) Eunos which is rust free, low miles and full flavor 1.6 engine.
It hasnt been on the road for 2 years due mainly to lack of time and having 2 youngsters who are now both driving.

I was going to shift it on this summer but I think it will be stored in my dads garage for another year

Kevin

Murray

#9 Post by Murray » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:54 am

I'm stuck for room otherwise I would probably keep both.
I need a daily car but using the mx5 every day especially with the salted roads is aging it way to fast for my liking.
So the only option is to shift the Midget,tuck the mx5 back in the garage and buy a daily car then have the mx5 fettled for dry use only.
Anyone want to buy a 1275 Midget?

kevin

#10 Post by kevin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:57 am

The MG should fetch better money that the MX5.
As much as I do love driving my Mazda, I think the MG is a better bet long term

Kev