Roewe's latest offering

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Roewe's latest offering

#21 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:43 pm

MG Closure Rumours. The rumours have been rubbished, but why did they circulate at all? Could it be a question of: "There's no smoke without fire?

DoloMIGHTY

#22 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Cheap sensationalism journalism that's why?

You only have to see that more investments are being made with MG (a £1 million showroom in Mayfair isn't something to be sniffed at), they are actively recruiting on a daily basis for new employees and apprenticeships at Longbridge for design and engineering staff.

SAIC make a huge thing about the "Britishness" of MG cars abroad, they even have a small badge now which reads "Britdynamics" (and appear to have invented a new word!), they will always retain a root in the UK for not just for marketing purposes but also there are some rather fine engineers and designers in this country - finally after decades, the custodians of Longbridge have actually noticed that and are nurturing that talent .

LONG LIVE LONGBRIDGE :mrgreen: .
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

rich.

#23 Post by rich. » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:46 pm

GHT wrote:MG Closure Rumours. The rumours have been rubbished, but why did they circulate at all? Could it be a question of: "There's no smoke without fire?
some journalists wont let the truth get in the way of a good story :(

SirTainleyBarking

#24 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:48 pm

See every episode of top gear and other assorted crap
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

rich.

#25 Post by rich. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:52 am

SirTainleyBarking wrote:See every episode of top gear and other assorted crap
not a fan then? :lol:

GHT

#26 Post by GHT » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 pm

rich. wrote:
SirTainleyBarking wrote:See every episode of top gear and other assorted crap
not a fan then? :lol:
Makes you wonder what Clarkson & Co would have made of the new MG SUV. Click through the sequence to see it from different angles.
Think I need a lie down and a couple of aspirins.

rich.

#27 Post by rich. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:19 pm

is it me or does it look like the renault suv thingy?

GHT

#28 Post by GHT » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 pm

It looks like a group of children have been left to play with a large dollop of play dough.

JPB

#29 Post by JPB » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:34 pm

rich. wrote:is it me or does it look like the renault suv thingy?
No, it's not just you, but aren't the Capturd and the Datsun Jake (they sell really well and keep the menfolk of Washington from the dole queue, now who's laughing? ;) ) one and the same car these days, in which case buy the "MG" ( :lol: ) because at least it has a sense of irony lacking in many modern farming implements and also because buying an MG - so this thread would tend to imply - makes a sane person believe that they can see the clothes on the naked emperor, especially when the logic involved is that of the Acclaim buyer back in the day, the difference being that Hondas were actually bloody good cars to start with, made better by British-sourced furniture and the fact that they had impressive heating and ventilation arrangements.
GHT wrote:It looks like a group of children have been left to play with a large dollop of play dough.
I had Play-Doh as a bairn, I once fashioned a very passable replica of Mum's 1959 A40 Countryman from the famously doughy playstuff. Relevant how? Because someone had already invented the Austin A40, ergo my clay model was totally pointless in the context of BMC's range of small cars some ten years later, much as a replica of the Renault Captur or Datsun Juke is now, but the danger there is that the things will soon start appearing on our nation's streets and people will then forget what a real MG looks like.
For those who thought they knew, a real MG looks like this!

Gotta love a Montego Turbo: Less slow than a 1.6LS automatic and even better looking. :drool:

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#30 Post by rich. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:03 pm

i owned a maestro van... never again...