Roewe's latest offering

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Roewe's latest offering

#41 Post by GHT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:44 am

The Missus explained, Anna Wotsit is an actress, shame, I thought by your excitement that she did this. The truth is, being an old fart, without kids, and therefore without grandchildren, I don't keep up with celebrity trends. If I had young grandchild I wouldn't have made the mistake of thinking that One Direction was a traffic sign, actually, one direction, in my youth had a sexual connotation. My difficulties are further compounded by rarely watching television. Reality shows, soap operas and quiz games make up most of what passes for TV and that just bores me. That said, I watched Rowan Atkinson in Maigret last night. It lacked pace but was enjoyable all the same.

JPB

#42 Post by JPB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:51 am

I was planning to watch that on the TV22, which has been flawlessly reliable since I rebuilt it in 1994. So, bearing in mind my plans to add that 405 line, monochrome atmosphere to the 50s-set detective show, I hadn't put a plan B in place.
Yep, the darned Bush failed its LOPTX about ten minutes in and I didn't have the appropriate parts in the spares box so I'll have to watch the programme later in the week, in HD colour on a massive screen with the sounds of Paris coming at me from all angles. Life's a bumhat sometimes, so now I'm both :D and :cry: at the same time.

I wouldn't have posted the above, but word on the street has it that someone in the village has just bought one of these new Chinese cars. (small Mercedes Benz products are built in France but I've been advised that they're still German, so what's good for the goose, etc..) I shall grab some pictures once the crowd of local kids, some of them having come through by bus just to worship the new arrival, has dissipated and the car can be seen clearly. BUT.. I'm said to be a little cynical so given that the car's appeal has that touch of Hans Christian Andersen's Kejserens nye Klæder about it, will it be visible to my eyes? We'll see, I must remember not to leave the camera in real life mode though, as I suspect that doing that would produce an image similar to this:

I'd buy one if they did look like that and were genuinely wind - rather than marketroid hot air - powered. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#43 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:59 am

How long before someone, somewhere, waffles on about how gorgeous the propeller car was?
If you look at the worst ten cars in Auto Express, you will find two are hot favourites here. And while you are pondering about that, read some of the comments. It just goes to show that, while some people are very difficult to please, others could get excited over one of Sinclair's C5's. A case of: Each to their own.
What I find unacceptable is the interference by some, on others. For example, a Mr Been sort of character, sidled up to me at some local car show and berated me for having radial tyres. "I think you'll find that they had crossplies when new," he informed me. "So have you got crossplies on your's?" I asked. "Oh, I haven't got one." He said, rather defensively. "Then you can put crossplies back on this one when you buy it." I said, turning on a heel and walking away. It's the same with owners of a particular marque who get all aggressive if you also have a car of that marque, but won't join their car club.
However, having an old car does give access to this forum, and with it, the chance to mercilessly mock the owners of a certain manufacturer, who, with most of their cars, has now gone to the great scrap yard in the sky.

SirTainleyBarking

#44 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:32 pm

Radials were introduced in Europe for passenger vehicles in 1948, on the 2CV, and were in many cases a factory option especially in the 60's, or fitted as the second set on a new vehicle when the factory supplied ones had gone bald.

Having driven a series 3 Landrover on 750's, and a Discovery* on decent goodyear wrangler Radials I know which I prefer. Sod originality.

*In case anyone goes but, but, these both weigh about the same, have beam axles, and the Disco on crappy avons was "Interesting" or "Slidey" in the wet. A series 3 can pull doughnuts on a wet roundabout if you goose the throttle a little hard.
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

TerryG

#45 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 pm

Have you really had problems with Avons on your disco? I have Avon ATR 205s on my RR and have found them a good balance between grip and road noise.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

GHT

#46 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:35 pm

TerryG wrote:Have you really had problems with Avons on your disco? I have Avon ATR 205s on my RR and have found them a good balance between grip and road noise.
In English, McGee.

TerryG

#47 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:38 pm

Quick translation for those not in the 4x4 / land rover community (GHT)
Avon - tyre manufacturer (not to be confused with other companies making unrelated products with similar names)
Disco - Land Rover Discovery
ATR - All Terrain Road biased tyres
205 - the width of aforementioned tyre
RR - Range Rover (or Rolls Royce if History is posting)

GHT

#48 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:55 pm

So just to clarify:
Avon is not a door bell that goes: Ding-dong, Avon calling.
Disco is not a crowded dance floor where p*ss-heads strut their stuff in the safety of the dark.
ATR is not At The Resthome.
205 Is not a Peugeot fast back car.
& RR is now a Range Rover, even though Rolls Royce have sqatter's rights on the anachronism of the double 'R' initials.
Clear as mud, McGee.

TerryG

#49 Post by TerryG » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:40 pm

That's all as it should be when talking about off-road vehicles.

JPB

#50 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:20 pm

GHT wrote:....
Clear as mud, McGee.
Says the fella who wrote this:
GHT wrote:When the driver saw me, in my MG, he started finger jabbing at me and digging his wife in the ribs. As if she couldn't see me, they were on a roundabout and I was on one of the approach roads. She could see me more clearly than he could, but he still went on pushing her shoulder, digging her ribs and finger jabbing at me. I would love to have got him on camera. MG drivers like that, tar us all with their brush.
:?

What was happening in that scene? Language must be allowed to evolve. I get that, and also that people of different nationalities or from different regions have different, yet entirely technically "correct" ways of conveying their ideas and concepts but kettle, frying pan, etc. People in glass houses shouldn't stow bones. Now beat me up, Spotty..
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: