Roewe's latest offering

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: Roewe's latest offering

#51 Post by GHT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:02 pm

I've been wondering whether to reply to this, I'm not sure what it is that's being quoted. Am I getting a sort of b*ll*cking?

JPB

#52 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Absolutely not and, if you were, then the bol***kin* would have to come from one of the mysterious men in red to carry any significance, but I asked in the thread whence that post came and I'm asking again - in a polite way that is genuinely inquisitive and not meant to offend - what the quoted words mean. I understood that you were approaching a roundabout and that someone in a car close by you was poking someone, somehow but what was happening to you? Does it mean that the other person was making a certain gesture that involves a single raised digit? What did it mean?
I wouldn't have responded at all had it not been for my yet unsatisfied curiosity about the event that you were describing in a way that clearly made perfect sense to you, but to my mind appeared to be about as comprehensible as this:
a social media victim recently wrote:So bus, giraffe, toe in the ear and fig rolls? I don't large hairy wart, not in the egg & spoonest with the obligatory elbow custard removed for safe two stroke or bummed round the hat cheese if it lives long enough..

The thing is, that ostensibly random string of letters and spaces meant something to someone and if I cared which, in the case of the social media (in that case, Street Life) environment, I don't, then I'd ask that person to explain it too. Maybe it's my autism that makes some collections of words seem unintelligible but I'm sure that if I'd been there, then whatever it was that happened to cause your disgust at the other person's actions would have aroused some vaguely similar response in me but as it is, I don't understand.

With sis-in-law beast's help, I have been able to identify a couple of key points that might be causing the lack of coherence for me:

How did you associate the other driver with MG ownership? This seems to be a keystone in the effect that his actions had on you but unless the person was someone known to you, then where did the conclusion that he was a fellow owner come from?

You were on an approach road, this other person's car was on the roundabout if we've worked that part out correctly. In that case, how were you able to see what the driver of that car was doing to his passenger with his spare fingers, those not involved in the action that caused you to become frustrated, annoyed or maybe a bit of both?

What was that thing involving his finger, the one that upset you so?

I don't mean to perpetuate your obvious distress about that event, but I would really like to understand. Sorry for any offence caused.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#53 Post by GHT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:26 pm

In truth, I really can't be arsed to go back to see what it was in the thread that caused ambiguity. However, what you said is something akin to that which my missus is always accusing me of, that is, starting a sentence in the middle and expecting the recipient to deduce all of the meaning. If this contradicts anything said previously, it is with apologies that anyone had difficulty understanding:

In the New Forest, at a location known as Picket's Post, are two Shell fuel stations. They are each side of the busy A31 Duel Carriageway, that takes traffic to and from the popular Dorset area of Christchurch, Bournemouth and Poole. The two stations are linked by an underpass. Each side of the underpass, the link terminates in a traffic roundabout. It was at one of these roundabouts that the event took place.

I was heading from the forest towards the westbound side of the A31. A modern car, towing a trailer, had left the A31, in order to enter the fuel station. On the trailer was an MG of similar vintage to my car, it being an MG TD. The driver of the towing vehicle saw me in my car and got so excited that for a second or two, I thought he might actually get his John Thomas out. Despite his (assumed) wife bearing no visible affliction of sight, he still couldn't resist poking and prodding her with his intention being for her to look in my direction. His finger jabbing gesticulation would be better explained if I were to speculate that which he was saying.

"Look, Mildred, look. An MG!"
"Yes dear."
"No, but look, it's a similar model to ours."
"Yes dear, very nice."

Have you got the picture now? Some MG owners are so excited by the brand, that despite their ownership, sighting a similar model to their own brings out an irrational behaviour. In days gone by it would have been dismissed by the term: "Train Spotter." Grown men used to get seriously excited by seeing a steam engine for the first time. And that in itself can be ambiguous so to be clear: The fastest steam train ever was a model known as: an A4 Pacific. The name of which was: "Mallard." But, there were a good number of A4 Pacifics built. So if train spotter had seen Mallard but not seen another A4 by a different name, it would cause great excitement. Could never understand it myself, personally, I would rather get my leg over.

JPB

#54 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Me too, heads or tails for sloppy seconds? :scared:

Thanks for that, it clicked into place and now I see what you meant, which appears to be that you shared the other MG owner's female companion's apathy about seeing other cars of the same make. It could have been worse, they might have been taking the mickey out of your hat.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#55 Post by GHT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:49 pm

JPB wrote:It could have been worse, they might have been taking the mickey out of your hat.
Seriously? Me, in a dodgy hat?

SirTainleyBarking

#56 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:10 pm

The hat is fine, the shirt on the other hand would be banned under the drive by noise regulations :lol: :lol: :lol:
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner