Tyres.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
PeteH

Tyres.

#1 Post by PeteH » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:48 am

Hi

As well as currently renovating a Herald. I have a Motor-home. Earlier to-day we had a post there ref; tyres which Is as relevant here!

I append 2 comments which highlight the issue:-

The problem is that tyres are not rubber, in fact no commercially available tyre has any rubber in it today but a large number of compounds mixed together in some magical mixing pot, and just as long as all of these compounds keep on turning around all is fine and dandy............. However when a tyre is fitted, for example to a motorhome, (or classic) which is likely to be parked up for very long periods of time without any kind of movement, all of these compounds and polymers start to fall out and begin to feel as they no longer want to be mixed up together so they begin to separate. The result of this is the tyres start to go grey in colour as well as starting to crack. On the other hand, keep your tyres turning on a very regular basis, they will last for far longer, even if the treads might wear out!

If you are wise and if you jack up your outfit every time you know you are going to be parked up for a very long time, remove the weight from the suspension and more importantly, remove the tyres and store them away in a cool, dark and well ventilated spot then the tyres could last you 20 years or more...................... But hey ho, we are in the real world and next to no one does this, so get into the habit of changing all your tyres, even if they have almost the full tread left, at least every 6 years.

And to be fair is one of the reasons why even classic enthusiasts should not be in favour of the latest "rolling" "NO MOT" requirement for post `60 vehicles. Because Tyres are a regular Failure, for exactly the same reasons, and could be overlooked leading to failure, IF involving other vehicles would inevitably lead to calls for removing "classics" from our roads all together!.

Pete

GHT

Re: Tyres.

#2 Post by GHT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:07 pm

That's a lesson that I learned when I bought my MG. The previous owner, did fifteen hundred miles in twelve years, he ferried the car everywhere.
Once the car had arrived, it was given a thorough inspection, four perfectly good tyres were scrapped. Perfectly good insomuch that the tread was all but new, the condition on the other hand was an MOT failure. The cracking was so deep it corrupted the tyres ability to function correctly. The MG has what is known as The Jackall System, meaning the car can be jacked up of the ground without using an external jack. Google Jackall if you have never heard of it. But like you say, it's all a bit of an arse to lift the car when not in use.

Flatlander

#3 Post by Flatlander » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:38 pm

A couple of points here.

First, modern tyres do contain an amount of natural rubber. The percentage varies as to the tyre, but reckon on upwards of 25%. Dedicated winter tyres have the highest quantity.

Its the amount of rubber that, to a certain extent defines the life expectancy. More natural rubber tends not only to increase wear, and therefore decrease life expectancy, but also dry out, and harden. That accounts for the cracking that can be seen.

At least one of the Scandinavian countries has defined that legally, a 6 year old Winter tyre or "All year" tyre must be replaced when it reaches the age of 6 years. Summer tyres (with less natural rubber) are allowed to become 10 years old before replacement.

As regards jacking to take the weight off the tyres. I agree, but, there is an other way. As long as the vehicle can be kept in a cool, darkened room, the tyres are inflated to 15psi over normal, and kept there until use, damage will be reduced. This method is used by the US Army on wheeled vehicles of all kinds that are kept in storage for the 7 year storage cycle they use. Its very, very rare that even at the end of one or two periods that tyres need replacing due to visible damage.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:55 pm

in my younger days i had restored an mg, money being tight i kept the fairly new tyres.. they lasted for a few years but one night driving up the m5 at speed there was aloud bang & the car was difficult to drive... i stopped & had a quick look & found a section of tread had come off. the tyre was still inflated so i drove slowly up to the exit/service station & changed the wheel.. within a week she had new tyres on all round!

GHT

#5 Post by GHT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:25 pm

rich. wrote:one night driving up the m5 at speed there was aloud bang & the car was difficult to drive... i stopped & had a quick look & found a section of tread had come off. the tyre was still inflated so i drove slowly up to the exit/service station & changed the wheel.. within a week she had new tyres on all round!
Yes, but did your bowel ever recover?

TerryG

#6 Post by TerryG » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:08 pm

I have this problem with my mog at the moment. It's been an MOT advisory for the last 4 years that it needs new tyres but as the car only does 1 mile to the garage and 1 mile home every year without going over 20mph I haven't done anything about it. The tyres look perfect when you look at the side wall but there are serious cracks in the tread.
When the RR is done so I start on the mog, i'll be replacing them with brand new rubber and van wheels to get a bit more on the ground.
Old tyres are a pet hate of mine, I persuaded the mother in law to have the tyres on her 15 year old polo replaced, the car has done less than 15,000 miles in that time and was still on the original boots which were so cracked it was scary.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:22 pm

GHT wrote:
rich. wrote:one night driving up the m5 at speed there was aloud bang & the car was difficult to drive... i stopped & had a quick look & found a section of tread had come off. the tyre was still inflated so i drove slowly up to the exit/service station & changed the wheel.. within a week she had new tyres on all round!
Yes, but did your bowel ever recover?
:lol: never mind the bowels it was the earbashing i got from mother for the last 20 miles, i had been over the speed limit on the motorway when the tyre went, im sure i am a bit deaf in my left ear since that night..

Flatlander

#8 Post by Flatlander » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:10 pm

rich. wrote:in my younger days i had restored an mg, money being tight i kept the fairly new tyres.. they lasted for a few years but one night driving up the m5 at speed there was aloud bang & the car was difficult to drive... i stopped & had a quick look & found a section of tread had come off. the tyre was still inflated so i drove slowly up to the exit/service station & changed the wheel.. within a week she had new tyres on all round!
That reminded my of one Good Friday heading towards Birmingham on the M6. The right rear tyre on a Bedford CA Caravanette (as they used to be called!) lost most of its tread in the middle lane. Never bought a remould since then! :D

gazza82

#9 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Just to add to the tales of woe ...

Don't buy 2nd hand either unless you know the car they came off ...

Had a Michelin on the A35 when an impoverished 6th-former and clipped a kerb gently on a roundabout, so not fast. A few yards after felt the rumble of a flat and stopped. The outer wall showed a gentle scuff mark, but the inner wall had TWO large splits. The person who fitted it for me had glued a thick piece of rubber over the splits, fitted a tube and made sure the damage was in the inside where less obvious ..

Of course he denied it when I went back ...

Can't imagine what it would have done on the front and at 60'ish!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:43 pm

i did have another tyre go a few years ago on the wifes daily, audi a4 tdi thingy... i was driving home, a 7 hour trip & while following a porsche 911 gt3.. we were overtaking a convoy of lorries & the car developed a bit of a vibration, so i slowed down & pulled back into the slow lane & as i pulled over i saw the tyre casing go the other way... it was a recent firestone & was in good condition & pressures checked before i left home...there was a pic somewhere :?