A few scrapped classics

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Ian

A few scrapped classics

#1 Post by Ian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:40 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhSXNr4_hUA

Take a look at this video, the shot of the breakers yard is especially sad :(
Strive for perfection in everything you do

JPB

Re: A few scrapped classics

#2 Post by JPB » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:00 am

It's full with minis, so now we know where they all went.
I do rather like that Queen Mary doing its rounds near the start though, but among the crew there appears not to be a glove, a hat or a muffler in sight and all of that ash, emptied from folks' fireplaces at a time when central heating was still an expensive luxury, will probably shorten the bloke's life noticeably. Not everything was better in the old days.

Mind you though, at least back then your waste wasn't let alone to smell for three weeks between collections. Oh, and I would quite like that super rare (even when new) Panhard. A brave choice for the time but what a gorgeous car.
:drool:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:17 am

there might be some households with 2 cars.. :lol:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:29 pm

What immediately struck me about that film was the date: 1964. It was the year that I passed my driving test, but that aside, it was also the year sandwiched between two Beeching Reports.

The Beeching cuts (also Beeching Axe) refer to the reduction of route network and restructuring of the Railways in Great Britain outlined in two reports, The Reshaping of British Railways (1963) and The Development of the Major Railway Trunk Routes (1965), written by Dr Richard Beeching and published by the British Railways Board.
Two things seem obvious, blindingly so. Axing the choice of rail will lead to an impossible number of commuter cars. Axing the branch lines, without replacing them with roads, will blight the lives of everyone.

The railways were haemorrhaging money, no doubt about it. But in the name of sanity, why couldn't the track beds be turned into bridleways, cycle ways and footpaths with a review of the travelling public's needs in say fifty years hence? London Transport has just reported a record day for passenger numbers: 4.8 million, on a single day, a month ago on December 4th 2015. If those derelict branch lines' track beds were still in existence, most of the country's major conurbations could have their own version of a London Underground, instead, we are going to have an eye wateringly expensive high speed train that will reduce travel time from London to Birmingham by a measly 30 minutes. Big deal.

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:18 pm

thats forward planning for you!