severe weather

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Murray

severe weather

#1 Post by Murray » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi all
Just been reading about the severe weather we are having up here in the north west.
An old pub near me has literally fallen down due to the weather.
I hope everyone is safe and have their cars kept safe.
I'm afraid I can't offer any storage space for cars but I'm sure there are others who can offer assistance.

History

Re: severe weather

#2 Post by History » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:57 pm

That's a nice thing to offer.

I am in Bournemouth and the temp is 14c and a warm breeze. Quite pleasant. Some are paddling in the sea.

I haven't had the heating on at home. I will be able to use the money saved for tyres.

Bob

Murray

#3 Post by Murray » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:00 pm

Well I have found a farm on high ground that can accept a few cars for a short period of time if anyone needs assistance.

tractorman

#4 Post by tractorman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:34 am

My sympathies go to those who have been affected by the flooding. While I live "near" Carlisle, I live on a hill and am far enough downstream not to be in any danger, though the river has been over the road rather more often than usual and is quite full this morning (and the high tide is after midday today). However, some towns and villages have been flooded two or three times this month and there are four flood risk warnings in place today.

Just remember to let the insurers know if the vehicle is being stored elsewhere - they will be having a bad time at the moment!

A large proportion of my friend's customers live in the Keswick area and he has installed many new boilers in the last two or three weeks. He says the insurance companies are more or less giving a fixed price rather than wasting time asking for quotes. Unfortunately, there are some customers ringing to complain that he (or one of his two "workers") hasn't been to service their (working) boilers and they are not pleased when he tries to explain that he is rather busy trying to get heat into houses that have been flooded!

The floods bring out the good in people (and communities), but also brings out the worst: cowboy builders and looters etc.

I was told that skips are 50% more expensive than usual in our area at the moment.

Murray

#5 Post by Murray » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:19 pm

Unfortunately it's true people do turn into a money grabbing machine once they can see pound notes.
I have een another farmer charging double the amount to bring his slurry pump into action.
I overheard two guys talking in the pub and one said he was glad of the bad weather as he could charge what he wanted and only turn up to the easy jobs and make a killing.
Hence my offer to save a flooded classic before someone is ripped off.
All the best.

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:50 pm

its been a bit grim from what i have seen on the news, hope everyone is ok

Murray

#7 Post by Murray » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:24 pm

It appears the water has receded around this area anyway, others a bit further north like York are still under water.
my mate opened a body shop a couple of years back and his place was under about 4 feet of stagnant water.
the pressure was so heavy it pushed a merc through his roller shutter door.