Agreed Value insurance, thank goodness for it!

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
suffolkpete

Re: Agreed Value insurance, thank goodness for it!

#11 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:55 am

I have never been in that situation, touch wood, but I would simply politely exchange details with the other driver and make an honest report to my insurers. Insurers generally don't like public admissions of liability as Tractorman has said. Nothing dishonest in that. It's only dishonest if you deny liability, best plan is to say nothing.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Classic Microcars

#12 Post by Classic Microcars » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:56 pm

I think the point is that it is the insurer's money not yours. If you are going to pay for the damage, then admit whatever you like to the third party. However, the insurer potentially paying out, would like to look at the facts before coming to a liability conclusion. Nobody is suggesting being untruthful, just not commenting about it to the third party.

History

#13 Post by History » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:13 pm

One doesn't have to respond to other party apart from name and address.

I once clipped a car with a Transit drop side. The cars owner went from shouting to meek when I said don't worry my insurers will sort this out. I think he had no insurance.

In law insurance is a special sort of contract. Ones contract is with ones insurance company. Not the other party or their insurers. The insurance contract is reliant on the legal term " Utmost good faith" this means that lying to ones OWN insurance by omission or directly outs one in breach of that contract. Third party claims have to be met by law, but ones own car may not be covered. Passengers in ones own car are also third party.

I use a broker that is also an insurance actuary. He gets me a good price on house, car and etc. Never had a problem.

Bob