Car lifts

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
kevin

Car lifts

#1 Post by kevin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Has / does any1 here use a 2 or 4 post car lift as storage for a car in their garage?
I'm struggling to store a lovely eunos I own, don't really want to sell so considering forking out for a lift so I can stack my 2 cars the the garage.

Kev

History

Re: Car lifts

#2 Post by History » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:34 pm

This is common practice. Drips from top car fall on bottom car but dust sheet works.

4 post lift with wheel free is best. These do turn up used. 240v to 3 phase control box may be required. Avoid screw type lifts. Seen one jam with car on it. They had to get a crane to lift the car off. Hydraulic best.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Agree about four poster being best for this purpose, but wheelfree rails aren't really necessary and, if you want to have the wheels all up at once, fitting two jacking crossmembers takes up less room, they're lighter than a pair of rails and they leave access free to other areas along the sides of the car when the wheels are off the surface, so much more practical for doing eye level work inside or outside of the track where with full length rails, you're limited to shoulder room only, and then only if you're fairly narrow so for parking purposes there are even fewer reasons to fit the wheelfree rails and associated hardware.

If weight and space are important and only a two poster would fit, then make sure you get hub adapters to fit in place of the jacking pads for when the lift is in use for storage, this is in case someone manages to knock the car off when it's in the air with another car below. It can happen.
And surely Japanese cars don't drip? Unless of course they're newish Datsun Tinos with the porous sump issue that affects the type.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#4 Post by kevin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:02 pm

The eunos is dry so no worries with dripping. It may be swapped for a gt6 at some point tho. Give me a clue what wheels free means?
The type I've been looking at are the commercial garage type, where you drive onto two long rails and up you go.

Kev

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Wheel free rails are fitted along the length of a four post lift and they can be locked into brackets at the pillars to stop them above the surface of the side rails, this is useful if you need to remove all four wheels when the car is in the air which makes some tasks marginally quicker.

Picture below:

or, the modern way:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#6 Post by kevin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:20 am

Cheers John.
Been looking at some nice looking ramps for around £1800 which fit the task nicely, going to arrange to view one next week

Kev

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:16 am

That amount should get you a really good four poster with few signs of significant wear, but if you have the opportunity to see and hear the device in action before handing over the money that would be a big advantage. Bear in mind that garages typically get several trouble free decades of service from these things so many are very worn by the time they come out of regular service.
;)
J

sierra3dr

#8 Post by sierra3dr » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:05 pm

I was looking into buying a used lift for my workshop,but,decided against buying a used one,because sellers don't always state that it requires new parts. I then opted to buy a new one for a grand. I can't fault it,and importantly,it has a lock mechanism to stop it dropping down. And hopefully,Kevin,that the concrete is suited for mounting a ramp

kevin

#9 Post by kevin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm buying a new one. The concrete is a structural slab which I had designed for just this purpose.

Kev

History

#10 Post by History » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:11 pm

I saw a 4 poster with castor wheels advertised in a magazine. Also water proof kits.

1000 squid for a new one is good for the money plus It's hassle free on the delivery side. And its 240v rather than 3 phase.

Hydraulic jacking beams are good but expensive. A good alternative is a girder across the ramps with bottle jacks bolted down to the girder.

I used to put a axle stand(s) on the floor between the ramps drop the car on to it slip axle stands and pads under the car with stands on the ramp then lift up so the wheels are clear of the ramps.

Also the lift can be used to lift engines out of cars. (Not 2 post lifts)

With a few easy to make accessories a 4 post lift is the bees knees for cars. Over engineer every thing. My engine lift chain is rated at about 10 tons for example. Also big fat lumps of wood are handy. Things like suspension bolts dig into the wood and the lump of wood doesn't slip.

1000 quid well spent for a serious restorer.

Bob :thumbs: