oxidized iron

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
History

Re: oxidized iron

#11 Post by History » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:14 am

Yes we all know salt rusts steel. The speed is what I am trying to point out.

Bob.

Luxobarge

#12 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:52 am

History wrote:Yes we all know salt rusts steel. The speed is what I am trying to point out.

Bob.
Gah! My point still stands - we're all well aware of that!!!!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:43 pm

salt goes better with fish & chips.... :drool:

History

#14 Post by History » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Younger people may not be aware of the devastating effect brine has on bare steel.

When I was about 12 I stripped and scraped the paint off a push bike frame. I left it out side ready for painting at the weekend. Saturday morning I was sanding rust off. I didn't know that it would rust that quick.

I try to post stuff that is for all ages and depth of knowledge.

Hopefully some one who like me didn't know much about rust has brined a bit of steel and now understands a bit more about rust.

Old cars and rust go together. Anyone restoring an old car will have to deal with rust. The more one knows about rust the better able to guard against it.

Bob :thumbs:

Luxobarge

#15 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:03 pm

My point still stands.

You're still constantly stating the bleedin' obvious.

You may have been ignorant about the effects of salty water on bare steel when you were young, but I'll guarantee to you nobody on here is, young or old.

Please don't post unless you have something useful to say, it's just annoying.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

sierra3dr

#16 Post by sierra3dr » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Flag rust converter,tried and tested,and I recommend it. Not bad for 6 quid from toolstation

PeteH

#17 Post by PeteH » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi

Interesting footnote appeared on the Net recently. Apparently some L-A have commissioned a test of the effectiveness of road salting. carrying out tests over a period of time to see the residues. And for good measure did some tests in JULY. They where still finding significant traces of salt.!

Pete