CAR SOS new seies

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
tractorman

CAR SOS new seies

#1 Post by tractorman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:11 am

For those who haven't spotted it, the new series starts on More 4 at 21:00 this evening and is repeated in the early hours of tomorrow (I'd guess that is with sign language). The one they are showing is an E-type, so there's plenty of opportunity for Tim to haggle for discount on the endless list of pats they'll need!

As an (important) aside, I hope Phil is on the mend - especially as they will be doing another series. We NEED Phil, he makes the series worth watching!!

JPB

Re: CAR SOS new seies

#2 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:35 am

I'll be watching all of these again, especially as the quality of the downloads hasn't been so good for this series and there's no substitute for seeing TV shows on a TV, no matter how much technically superior other devices are. High point for me has to be this episode:

:thumbs:

We miss you, Phil, here's hoping that you're doing OK.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#3 Post by kevin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:03 pm

The Stirling moss episode was superb, I was only wondering today how Phil is, any1 who knows reading the forum?

Kev

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:51 am

we miss you phil! get well soon mate..

MG Mal

#5 Post by MG Mal » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Phil was back in the workshop on the latest episode (E Type).

Looking well and "supping tea". :)

EricTheRed

#6 Post by EricTheRed » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:21 pm

This series may be "new" to More 4 but it's been on TV before (that's how I knew to fast forward that bit where Tim Shaw was "blagging" parts at David Manners which I remember from before was toe-curlingly embarrassing).

tractorman

#7 Post by tractorman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 am

The series is new to Freeview, though it is shown on some satellite channel first (National Geographic?). Some of us don't have satellite TV!

IIRC, Tim blagged stuff from David Manners before, though I don't remember what car they were doing, I do remember Mr M being able to identify various parts that Tim had picked in the hope of catching him out and then getting serious discount.

It was after the third series (the current one on More4) that Phil had a stroke - I remember him writing that he would be more involved in series three (the one that has just started) and I hope he is recovering - or will recover enough to carry the show in his usual manner as I don't think I could put up with Tim's "daftness" without Phil as an antidote!

Perhaps we should have a vote on who is worst - Tim or Mike Brewer. On second thoughts, I think Tim's bull is nowhere near as bad as Brewer's!

Classic Microcars

#8 Post by Classic Microcars » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:24 am

Au contraire! I can put up with Mike Brewer, who is just doing what he knows best. He doesn't try to be "clever" or "funny", nor does he create such embarrasing situations like Tim, in the E type and other episodes. Although I am sure he would never say, I wonder what Fuzz's real opinion is of Tim?

Maybe he is a delightful chap and just acting the buffoon, which is what the script / producer demands and pays for?

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 am

Classic Microcars wrote:....Maybe he is a delightful chap and just acting the buffoon, which is what the script / producer demands and pays for?
I suspect that the above is probably true, I also suspect that the two men get along just fine as they're both petrolheads through & through and Tim, when he's not doing his staged negotiations (for the benefit of the dull of thinking?), does say much technically competent stuff, sadly overshadowed by his clowning around.
We'll never know for sure but as long as there's sufficient car content, does Tim's act really matter? The bloke lived with an old Proton for a week, that's all I need to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPIn2hYMHg0

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

EricTheRed

#10 Post by EricTheRed » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Classic Microcars wrote: I can put up with Mike Brewer, who is just doing what he knows best. He doesn't try to be "clever" or "funny", nor does he create such embarrasing situations like Tim, in the E type and other episodes.
Agreed
Classic Microcars wrote: Maybe he is a delightful chap and just acting the buffoon, which is what the script / producer demands and pays for?
To my mind that, if anything, would lower my opinion of him even more!