CAR SOS new seies

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
tractorman

Re: CAR SOS new seies

#11 Post by tractorman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 am

I'd agree that Tim is probably acting the buffoon role: it will probably be a bit of "light relief" for those viewers who aren't really interested in "old bangers". As such, it might broaden the appeal of the programme which, unless you are relatively knowledgeable, could get very "technical" and boring. Unfortunately, I now avoid other programmes that Tim is on as I can't get the "buffoon act" out of my head! Don't mention the Jeep adverts that are too short, so you don't get much of an idea about what is going on before they are finished (there again, I tend to "surf" channels during the adverts).

I lost any faith in Mike Brewer when he sold a Spitfire with the comment that the entire engine has been rebuilt - Edd "My mechanic" China only did the head after the valve seats had gone (at least it became an unleaded head in the process!). I would be rather annoyed if I had bought a car that had had such a major repair and found the oil pressure suddenly went to zero a few miles later - would I have got my money back? He does tend to exaggerate the amount of work that has been done on the cars and, on occasion, the quality of the work.

Mike also likes to "blag a discount" but, I will credit him with the sense to accept that some prices aren't negotiable.

OTOH, Edd does come across as a "good enough" mechanic and may encourage people to do a little bit more work on their own vehicles. I suspect it can be a hard call when trying to make car repairs seem interesting and easy to those who are only half-interested and don't (or won't try to) understand some of the more technical aspects. IMHO, he makes the programme worth watching!

gazza82

#12 Post by gazza82 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:07 pm

New series started last night ... Nissan Skyline R33 ...

Obviously could be a repeat ...

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:32 pm

i watched that one, it seems workshop phil is in good health :D

suffolkpete

#14 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:49 pm

I think it was filmed before Phil's illness, the reveal was done at last year's NEC.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

arceye

#15 Post by arceye » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:52 am

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, just started watching the current series on Nat Geo that I've been saving to the sattelite box.

I'm two episodes in, nice car content with an AC Aceca and a Volvo P1800, Tims still acting a prat but we expect that and you do need light entertainment so the wife doesn't moan too much about not catching up with her viewing of Britains Got No Talent or whatever rubbish is currently in vogue.

Although in a wheelchair Phil has made a couple of appearances so if not in full health he is at least keeping them on his toes.

If Phil reads this, then I'd just say I hope you are doing well, he is after all the shows main Event :thumbs: .

kevin

#16 Post by kevin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 pm

I watched the BMW 2002 episode the other night, Phil made a brief appearance and I must admit that I cheered when he did!
The car was fabulous at the end too!

Kev

rich.

#17 Post by rich. » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:56 pm

good to hear phil is mobile! get well soon mate.. :thumbs:

GHT

#18 Post by GHT » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:02 pm

tractorman wrote:I'd agree that Tim is probably acting the buffoon role: it will probably be a bit of "light relief" for those viewers who aren't really interested in "old bangers". As such, it might broaden the appeal of the programme which, unless you are relatively knowledgeable, could get very "technical" and boring.
That is a succinct precis of how reality shows become entertaining. For me, they get one chance, if the presenter comes across as annoying, that's it, enough, I watch no more.
Some of the American motoring reality shows, feature the company proprietor so much, and if he has that narcissistic, look at me, look at me, then my viewing of that show lasts just minutes. Sin City Motors, is typical of such a show.
Having only watched Car S.O.S. just once, the presenter Tim Shaw, came across as someone for whom Palm Sunday is a special day, (that's a joke. His palm is used for sexual release, as in A. W. Anchor.) Forgive my ignorance, you are all speaking of Phil. Is that the Philip Glenister of: For The Love of Cars? I assumed that Car S.O.S. was Fuzz Townsend & A.W. Anchor. (Tim)
Tractorman is right, a show has to be balanced, the actor Robson Green seems to have his face into so many TV shows these days, he too can be irritating, but his commentating of the restoration of the steam locomotive: Flying Scotsman, was surprisingly professional, which made it all the more enjoyable. The one car reality show that comes anywhere near is For The Love of Cars, and maybe it's because, like Robson Green, Glenister is a trained actor, someone who knows how to build tension, with inflection and nuance.
Of course all that is just an old fart's view, the world has changed, people move on. I wouldn't criticise any show, my critique is the off button. Many of you enjoy these programs, good luck to you, the shows depend on viewing figures, so they can sell advertising space, once those figures fall, only then will producers pull the plug. (I only wish they would put the Big Brother program out of it's misery.)

JPB

#19 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:18 pm

It's "Workshop Phil" from SOS of whom we're all thinking. Phil was a regular poster here but then he experienced some sort of health problem and vanished. :( :idea: Phil, I reckon this was an extreme way to get away from Tim's sometimes annoying patter but we won't hold it against you though if you can propel yourself along in that chair, then you can darned well type! ;)

Here's hoping that Phil is improving and that we will have more words from him soon. Please.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: