RIP Lord Montagu

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TerryG

RIP Lord Montagu

#1 Post by TerryG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:55 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34106225

I always enjoy walking around Beaulieu, something he made possible and i am sure is responsible for lots of people becoming involved in classic cars.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

Re: RIP Lord Montagu

#2 Post by JPB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:29 pm

A sad loss, not only to the world of old motors but also to politics and to the struggle for equality and justice that saw him imprisoned for being himself at a time when the UK was still in the dark ages in many ways.

I wonder which of the vehicles in the collection he'd have selected to take him to his final destination? Was he a tall bloke? If not then how about the Minor post office van? The passenger seat folds flat onto its cushion so that should do the job. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

History

#3 Post by History » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:38 pm

He and others got the law changed in 1967. The same act was used against Oscar Wilde. One (Monty) of his ancestors was Lord Cardigan who was at the charge of the Light Brigade.

Bob.

Mitsuru

#4 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:56 pm

Now that will be on heck of a send off the great and the good will all be wanting to be apart of it!

Just as long as Peter Tatchell doesn't spoil it (that pedo promoter who wanted the age of consent
to be reduced to 9years of age) likes to make use of these events to push his own agenda or make
a scene!

It will be something if a good selection of the collection was used at the funeral not just to carry the
nobal Lord Montagu but the mourners. I think the convoy of vehicles would be a good send off!
(no moderns allowed?)
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

RussellG

#5 Post by RussellG » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:18 am

funeral is thursday and beaulieu motor museum will be closed for the day.the 1909 rolls royce silver ghost is going to be fitted with a specially made platform to carry his coffin.