Mini bi-motor

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
jpsh120

Mini bi-motor

#1 Post by jpsh120 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Seen today at a local country show. 2 Downton tuned motors that can run either independently or together in a 4WD set up.

1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

History

Re: Mini bi-motor

#2 Post by History » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:14 pm

Interesting.

I think that having two engines running each end of the car may actually be illegal, really not sure.

If one engine won't start bump start it off the other. Put one in reverse and one in first and see which end wins.

Minis will only take so much HP before it becomes pointless. I guess this doubles the limit.

I don't like the chrome over the wheel arches. : :D :thumbs: Still its not my car and the owner likes it, so fine.

Bob

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:31 pm

It was a "factory" option

I can't think why it wouldn't be legal to run two engines on the road.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Fatbloke

#4 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Well that's jolly interesting. Off to find out more!

I can't see why it wouldn't be legal either. After all that's essentially what all the new highbrids are. (ok one of them is electric but still...)

And obviously it isn't or this car wouldn't have been able to drive to the show. :)
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

tractorman

#5 Post by tractorman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:38 pm

I remember a grass track "special" car in "Hot Car" in the early 70's with two Mini engines, IIRC, the back engine was an auto-box version - otherwise it needs some complex timing and linkage mechanisms to get the gear changes synchronised! I vaguely remember the article saying something about not being road legal because of two engines - I won't argue either way as it was a long time ago and it's quite possible that the law has changed. As it happens, the special was more like an Atom, with a skeletal frame with no lighting and not much bodywork, so it wasn't road legal in any case!

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Now that could be really entertaining if the hubs on the rear frame were steerable! :D
I see no reason why it shouldn't be permitted under C&U regs to use twin engines and Citroen's (twin engined) 2CV Saharas - chassis pic attached below - appear occasionally at shows under their own steam.
A quick search shows twin engined Fiestas, Golves and Peugeot 205s are around and road legal too.

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Richard Moss

#7 Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:11 am

VW did a twin engined mk2 Scirocco if I recall correctly

tractorman

#8 Post by tractorman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Forgive the Lazarus, but I was watching an old "Scrappy Races" last night and one team's vehicle had two old taxi front ends and two Vauxhall engine/gearboxes. The second engine wasn't fitted at the start (a drive to Pendine Sands) and, for the first event, they removed the rear frame and fitted one with the second engine because "It's illegal to use two engines on the road". I knew I'd seen it somewhere - I have seen that episode at least three times (and twice this year)!

Minxy

#9 Post by Minxy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Isn't there a twin engined vehicle at Gaydon motor museum? For some reason I've got in mind it may be a joke! Sure it's a pair of 'A' series engines anyway. I've certainly seen it done on a Golf with two VW engines.
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

RussellG

#10 Post by RussellG » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:15 pm

bmc made a twini moke too