New Fords

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
zipgun

Re: New Fords

#21 Post by zipgun » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:34 pm

05 plate is still "new" in't it ? Check this out .. :cry: http://autoshite.com/topic/21367-i-know-kas-rust-but/

JPB

#22 Post by JPB » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:37 pm

It's not as though that's the only rusty thing ever to carry the blue oval badge though. Back in the '80s, a Subaru retail customer brought in his 3 year old Sierra for its service and its (first ever) MOT test. That car was spotless, had only ever been used locally in an area that doesn't use salt and it drove, smelt and felt like a new car in every way. It gave me only a limited amount of schadenfreudische glee to have to fail that otherwise perfect specimen of Ford's finest on a whacking great hole where the underside of the box section that ran from the pan up the bulkhead should have been, just under the front passenger's left foot.

As this was so weird, we called Henleys (then the nearest Ford main dealer and no, Google, I didn't mean "Hendy" Ford) who had one of their finest MIBs with us inside the hour, complete with the automotive equivalent of a cyanide capsule, just in case, like.
So agent X made a quick call to someone else and within a further few hours, a successor to the diddy wagon, in car carrying form and Ford livery, pulled up on the front at which point the Sierra was spirited away and a new one to the same high spec was deposited for our by now confused service customer to smoke about in while his own was dealt with. It took a mere six days for the car to be properly repaired at Ford's nearest wholly in house bodyshop and the owner's bill was paid by Ford, who also gave him a full tank of petrol, a free and unexpected upgrade to the car's original radio, a new bonnet as they'd found a stone chip the size of a Biro tip on the original and that car was valeted by the world's most anal detail merchant as it came back better than new.
All of that attention left the car's owner most impressed with Henleys' approach and that car went on to serve him well for a further two years at which time, the dealership had managed to get him into a Subaru, itself probably far less likely to have survived than the Ford.
So do the dealers not care about the Ka's known issues? Are we even talking about the same Ford? Kas have been dissolving prematurely since a couple of years after their launch so howcome Ford didn't send out mysterious people in secret agent suits to spirit those away to be fixed at the parent company's expense?
That's it, I'm never buying another Ford as long as I live! (I only owned the one, a Cortina 1300DL that used more fuel than my mate's similar looking 1600E of the same era, it was rubbish but it did have lovely clear windows and most of its wheels were round enough...)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#23 Post by rich. » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm

if you want some ford rust my transits got plenty.... :(

3xpendable

#24 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:44 am

kstrutt1 wrote:You still have dpf with the urea based systems, the dpf virtually eliminates particulates, the urea reduces nox so you have both, diesel after treatment nowdays costs as much as the engine!

Ref comment about 1.0 ecoboost,

Not my experince, I have one in a fiesta it's superb it's not got the torque of a diesel but far better than a 1500 non turbo I was diving last week, and if you wind it up the sound is great, only downside is the fuel consumption is nothing liked advertised, getting around 45 mpg, but that seems to be the case with most moderns.

It would make a great transplant in a mini or minor.
Or an MGB, and Ford are selling the 2.0L EcoBoost as a crate engine now too, so I;d imagine the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.0 will follow. And no, I can't pinch one off the line ;)
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

TerryG

#25 Post by TerryG » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:33 pm

3xpendable wrote: I can't pinch one off the line
That says you have been thinking about it ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

3xpendable

#26 Post by 3xpendable » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:26 am

Of course I have! :D
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

keef

#27 Post by keef » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:31 pm

tractorman wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:09 pm
what about the hardboard that BL used on the Maxi (and others)? Most of the ones I saw were starting to rot after two or three years.
On that subject I'm missing the os boot trim in my '74. :(

Anyone have one in the back of their garage? ;)

Imageimage by keef, on Flickr

Here's the NS one I need to match. ;)

Imageimage by keef, on Flickr

JPB

#28 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Do Earlpart not have any suitable items? Or are they even in business these days, it's a long time since I was there chasing after A60 parts. 30 odd years, to be precise! ISTR that they had at least a couple of dead Maxis standing around at that time but TBH, their Riley Silhouette attracted most of my attention as I'd never seen one before and haven't seen one since. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

keef

#29 Post by keef » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Earlpart no longer in business. The stock was brought out by an ADO16 guy, so might try him: thanks.