Worst car in the world.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Worst car in the world.

#41 Post by JPB » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Classic Microcars wrote:...Having driven many three wheelers, I can say that there is no safety issue whatever, unless you drive like an idiot. Bear in mind that the Clarkson bigot had to modify the one he rolled extensively, because it wouldn't do so otherwise.
^^^^ Yes, that. :thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kstrutt1

#42 Post by kstrutt1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:35 pm

Probably the worst car i have driven was a herald, everything rattled the doors would open themselves, the handling was awful, and we even had a wheel fall off obvoiusly it was a very tired example ( belonged to a mate when we were 17). The worst vehicle was a ldv van, jumped out of a 2001 transit and drove this of a similar age, first corner I entered at what would have been a very cautious speed on the tranny, this thing barely made it around.

my experience of 3 Wheelers is they tend to slide before before they roll, a 360 spin in a bond bug was quite an experience.

TerryG

#43 Post by TerryG » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:22 pm

There is a robin on the farm and i was amazed that you can do doughnuts in it. It's easier to do them in the mog but I was just impressed it could be done at all.
I wouldn't say it's the worst car in the world, I wouldn't buy one but there are worse cars out there and this one does a wonderful job of getting attention for the in-laws business.

Many years ago (1999) i learnt to drive in a 1.0 Vauxhall Corsa, that was pretty hateful. No feeling in the clutch, gutless and noisy.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

zipgun

#44 Post by zipgun » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:07 pm

Oi ! I don't like that " Many years ago, 1999" bit.. ! :shock: Seems like yesterday to me

Fatbloke

#45 Post by Fatbloke » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:20 am

See what I mean? E-type?? Anything French?? Robin?? Well ok...Robins... ;)

But As for Kstrutt1 dissing my beloved Herald, well all I can say Kevin is ... be afraid, be very afraid...

;) ;) ;) ;)
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

kstrutt1

#46 Post by kstrutt1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:14 pm

I was pretty afraid of what that herald would do next!

This was 30 years ago you could pick up one with a reasonable mot for less than £100, then they were just an old banger no one had bothered maintaining for the previous 10 years.

He had a late vitesse afterwards that was much nicer.

ampwhu

#47 Post by ampwhu » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:44 pm

no I'm not jealous of the E type. I genuinely think they aren't worth what people pay for them. if one came my way, it would be sold with a hefty profit. (I have had a few classics come my way in the past.). I have nothing against jags, but the E type, isn't the best. I would prefer the MK11 or a nice 2 door XJ6. much better shape and better ride.

as for the minor, it was produced for a certain market. it's what it is. not for me, but isn't that bad.

GHT

#48 Post by GHT » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Penguin45 wrote:москвитч

There. That's how you spell it.

P45.
You got your 'N' back to front mate. :lol:
I actually knew an owner of one those Ruskie kiddy cars. He lived in Slough, says it all, doesn't it?
ampwhu wrote:hard choice this one......... I would possibly say anything French. Citreons, Peugeots and Simca's from all ages are really bad. although if I was honest, Renaults were better in recent years.
Renaults better? Well the aesthetics of their cars put me off, but: I used to run my own haulage company, had a couple of Renault 460 tractor units on hire. They were really very good, I was seriously impressed, then I found out that they were made by Volvo.

GHT

#49 Post by GHT » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:54 am

Recently, in a classic car publication, I read about someone wanting classic recognition for the Vauxhall Nova. That led me to finding out that there is such a thing as the Vauxhall Cavalier/Vectra owners club. This revelation came as quite a surprise because those models were not exactly cherished by employees, for whom they would be company cars. It was about status and badge snobbery.

The international conglomerate that I worked for used to use company cars as a means of praise and punishment. For example, the VW Passat that I drove, was upgraded to the Audi equivalent, following a string of successful results. To park your Audi amidst a car park full of Passats, at a manager's meeting, gave the driver a boastful air of arrogance.

On the other hand, the junior sales team, drove the basic car, which at the time was the Vauxhall Astra. Getting good sales results could get them upgraded to BMW series 3, but, if things went the other way, they could wind up with a Nova. I remember one arrogant salesman, who, after some peccadillo or other, was told the his next car would be a two litre turbo charged affair. He got more and more excited about it, telling everyone who cared to listen. When his MG Maestro, Diesel Turbo arrived, it was said that he went home to his wife, and wept.

The one car that company car drivers hated above all was the Cavalier, that and the Vectra, both were credited with many a company car driver either quitting the firm, or, taking the cash equivalent, and buying their own car. I smile and wonder what those former company car drivers think of their loathed form of transport becoming today's classics.