automatics

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
ampwhu

Re: automatics

#21 Post by ampwhu » Sat May 16, 2015 8:31 pm

my Mercedes engine on cold start up sounds as rough as a bag of rusty spanners. gearbox isn't much better. once warmed, there is no issue. millions of taxi drivers worldwide cant be wrong.

History

#22 Post by History » Sat May 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Taxis are often run for allday then the night shift takes over so they don't cool down so the clatter of diesel bits is not souch of a problem. My 207 D van was noisey for the first mile then quite quiet.

Bob.

alabbasi

#23 Post by alabbasi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Automotive wise, Americans are about the best at two things. Air conditioning and Automatic transmissions. The TH400 is a tough transmission that was put into big block trucks for work. It may still be in use. The newer 700R4 and L480 (electronic version) are over drive versions of the same transmission with a lock up torque converter. They can make a 5.7 liter v8 from the 90's do 28 US MPG.

Not sure what the cost to rebuild is in the UK, but here in the US, you can have a TH400 rebuilt for about $600.

Mercedes Benz 722.3 is a very good transmission, the 722.6 is a great transmission.

Mitsuru

#24 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:47 pm

So whats your take on the Chrysler 31th and the later 41te(A604).
I know that the 31th not only used in Chrylser Voyagers and Neons but also by Talbot
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

alabbasi

#25 Post by alabbasi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:55 pm

I don't know much about Chrysler transmissions. I have heard that the Automatic transmissions behind the cummins diesel engines do not hold up very well. GM is now putting alison 6 speeds behind their duramax diesels and they're as tough as hell.

IMO, GM has been very consistent in making great automatics. I'm not so hot on Ford automatics after driving a few trucks and a Mustang when I moved from the UK. They seemed to sap too much power. GM stuff is also usually very inexpensive to repair when compared to Ford. Chrysler started using the Mercedes Benz 722.6 5 speed in many of their vehicles which is near indestructible.