Older type batteries

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
History

Older type batteries

#1 Post by History » Mon May 11, 2015 11:18 pm

In my contentious posting on charging. I left out deep cycle batteries.

Car batteries are starter ignition lights battery or sil.

This battery is not deep cycle the plates are thin and have a large surface area this allows a burst of amps for the starter. Deep cycling actually damages the battery.

Deep cycle like fork lift trucks have. Need to be large so that thicker plates can be used.
Older type batteries on cars were bigger because they had a deep cycle ability due to more robust plates.
Not sure about this bit. At the time a car had to be able to display lights while parked for 10 hours. And of course start. London Taxi I think still have this regulation.

There are some batteries that are not as big as the older batteries but is deep cycle such as spiral wound Opititma.

I just use a std lead acid which is charged every 6 weeks as I not using the car.

Batteries fail because as they discharge the electrolite reacts with the lead to make lead sulphate. Charging reverses it. If the battery is left like this the sulphate hardens. This reduces battery capacity. A week is enough for this to happen. When recharged after being left under charged the battery will have lost capacity. If the engine is a quick starter then it does not show. But get a cold perkins diesel engine and the damage may cause non start.

Regards
Bob Reddington