Its only a car mate.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
History

Its only a car mate.

#1 Post by History » Thu May 07, 2015 11:52 pm

When a Rolls Royce boss was asked about the new Shadow in 1966 he said it's only a car. I added the mate for dramatic effect.

I have an cynical jaded view of old cars after 50 years. I think my postings reflect this. However I still like old cars.

Its important that one gets the balance right and remember one has family to care for. My old car is way down my list of priorities. Incidently my Shadow is worth about 8 to 10k so its really just an average classic car.

So when working all weekend fit a game of football in for your kids. Remember your kids chose what old peoples home one goes to. Its only a car mate.

Goodnight sleep tight and dont worry about cars
Bob Reddington

tractorman

Re: Its only a car mate.

#2 Post by tractorman » Fri May 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Preaching to the converted?

I suspect most of us would agree that cars are only cars, though I know some will disagree!

As I have said on many occasions, a VW Golf is not necessarily the most reliable of machines. However, if you go on a VW forum, they are the best vehicle ever made and anything French is rubbish. My last two Golfs have had silly (and sometimes rather too expensive) problems. Meanwhile, my neighbour is still pottering around in a 2003 Citroen C5 which never seems to need repair and still looks tidy.

I also have a Land Rover; I know Landys have the reputation for rust and aren't a great road vehicle - but it was bought because it is "free tax", diesel (PErkins Prima TD) and wanted for short trips (to "protect" the DPF on the Golf) and hauling dirty stuff (tractor bits etc). Some love their Land Rovers, but I have driven enough of them to know they are over-rated (a friend has had a few Mitsubishi 4x4s, which are/were a lot better).

Don't ask about the tractors - the best thing about them is that I can impress people for five second by saying that I have a DB7 and a DB9. It is a shame that they are both David Browns - a 780 and a 995! OK, I have rescued and restored the smaller one (and hope to restore the other one eventually), but they are still just lumps of metal - like most cars!

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Fri May 08, 2015 7:02 pm

sounds like a cheery soul ;)

History

#4 Post by History » Fri May 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Unfortunately some get over sensitive to critic of their chosen old car.
Mums always think their baby is better than others.

I am a happy person who cares about others.

Regards
Bob Reddington.

kstrutt1

#5 Post by kstrutt1 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:39 pm

I have 4 classics and if I did not put them behind the family and work I am sure they would all look a lot better, I find once they are in reasonable condition it does not take much to keep them roadworthy, Its the cosmetics which I rarely get round to.

We bought a minor for my son to restore with me for when he is old enough to drive, there are ways to combine family and old cars.

Kevin

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Sat May 09, 2015 7:53 am

History wrote:Unfortunately some get over sensitive to critic of their chosen old car.
Mums always think their baby is better than others.

I am a happy person who cares about others.

Regards
Bob Reddington.
as a proud dad of 3 kids under 5 i get to meet lots of new parents & some with really "unusual" babies... saying that my 3 all looked like winston churchill when born

History

#7 Post by History » Sat May 09, 2015 7:10 pm

I am a proud dad of 4 the ages are 30 to 41. I am now a friend rather than dad.

All babies look like Hislop Churchill or Jimmy Summer ville.

My kids have no interest in cars at all.

I rarely worked on Sundays and always made it a day for the kids. Living in Bournemouth meant lots of things to do.
Being a professional mechanic by Saturday lunch I had enough of cars.
I remember a customer who demanded that I work on a Sunday to fix his stupid E type hobby car. I refused and he pushed me over. My boss went nuts and kicked him and his E Type out of the workshop. We sold him the car. The boss voided any warranty on the car.
People can really go over board with cars.

Regards
Bob Reddington

tractorman

#8 Post by tractorman » Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 am

I washed the Golf three weeks ago - it was going in for an MOT the next day and was covered in cow muck!

I used to wash the Passat every week (though it did do a lot more miles) and sold a beautiful car (immaculate bodywork) for peanuts because it was "old" (about nine!). I only sold it because the injector pump had a bad knock (sounded like a hammer drill and frightened pedestrians!) and the timing kept slipping (someone had taken the bottom pulley off by the centre bolt to change the cam belt and that can damage a pin that locates the cam belt's bottom pulley).

Oh yes, the Golf passed the MOT with flying colours - no advisories and no non-MOT problems reported (they usually say if there's anything else that may need doing). That's the first time it has passed without needing something done - or any advisories!

GHT

#9 Post by GHT » Fri May 15, 2015 8:52 pm

tractorman wrote:Preaching to the converted?
I suspect most of us would agree that cars are only cars !
Don't be silly, my other half reckons that she comes third in the pecking order for my affections.
First up is the MG, well mg is an acronym for my girlfriend. Second is my beloved Wurlitzer Juke Box,
a classic 1015, also known as: One More Time. She thinks that she's third, but she's forgotten about Ruby-Mae
our, make that my, Birman cat.
tractorman wrote:As I have said on many occasions, a VW Golf is not necessarily the most reliable of machines. However, if you go on a VW forum, they are the best vehicle ever made and anything French is rubbish. My last two Golfs have had silly (and sometimes rather too expensive) problems!
We have a Mk4 Golf, had it new in 1998. It's book value is no more than about £500 but it's immaculate. It has always been garaged, the only two problems we have experienced with it have both been caused by vandalism. The rear screen had a brick thrown through it by yoiks on a bridge and the front nearside wing suddenly got customised in a supermarket car park by Mr. Nobody. The screen, at over £400 was settled through insurance. The wing is a bolt on affair. Twenty quid the wing, eighty quid the preparation and spraying to blend in. Job done. Car runs a treat, although she does say that she's bored with it after seventeen years.

History

#10 Post by History » Fri May 15, 2015 10:13 pm

If we had any sense us old car idiots would buy something like a 5 year old golf. A Golf isn't a bad car and a 2 litre one will go much faster than my stupid old Shadow.

Regards Bob.