Jaguar XK8

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
kevin

Jaguar XK8

#1 Post by kevin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:12 pm

assuming I will not win the lottery or inherit vast fortunes I can't ever see me being able to afford a decent E Type.
Having had a good mooch about, I could afford one of the early XK8s, some lovely low miles examples available if you search about.
Any1 had any experience of them?

(Should say I'm not suggesting the xk8 is anywhere near the car the e type is, just takes a much lower budget to acquire one!)

Kev

rich.

Re: Jaguar XK8

#2 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:00 pm

ive been thinking that for a while, although prices need to crash before i can get one :D

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm sure Luxo will be along shortly as he has one. You can't compare one to an e type (largely because you can't compare anything to an e type) but it is a good looking car in its own right.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Yep, owned one for about 9 years now, superb bit of kit. When I've got more time I'll post back with things to look out for if you like, but mine's been pretty good during the time I've had it, not an expensive car to run in my experience.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Fatbloke

#5 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:06 pm

I like the XJS. Have you thought about one of those? I know it has it's abusers but I think that is because it followed the E. Nothing would fare well on that basis.

I'm a child of the 70's so am a fan of the XJS.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

Adam43

#6 Post by Adam43 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:34 pm

I have never owned one of these, but I understand that they are pretty reliable. I think there are some issues with very early engines, but these were very quickly resolved.

The suggestion of the XJS is a good one too :)

Edit: a quick search shows too problems with early ones. Cylinder liners and timing chains. More details here with info on how to identify which cars had the early engines with the poor cylinder liners:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk8/models.html
Scroll to the bottom.

The timing chain problem is easily noticed and I've heard it said that the other problem is nothing to worry about as any car with it will have a new engine by now ;)