Future Classics

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Richard Moss

Re: Future Classics

#11 Post by Richard Moss » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:33 am

Victoria Wicks (who played Sally Smedley) was rather nice to look at, too. Certainly better looking than an Audi TT and probably easier to look after than an Alfa 156.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#12 Post by mr rusty » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:57 pm

'Bad education'...new series starting soon, very funny.l don't know what I'll do for comedy when bbc3 gets the chop :( and a blast from the past, 'Brass eye' , got 'em on DVD, still funny now.

And from Canada, 'Trailer park boys'....they showed a few on Granada I think it was or some other cable channel that got the chop, the channel went, along with Ricky, bubbles, Julian, Mr lahey, etc, luckily still available on DVD and Netflix.... :D
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Fatbloke

#13 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 am

Red Dwarf?
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

TerryG

#14 Post by TerryG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:19 am

That's a classic now and brilliant (excluding "back to earth" for which Dave should be taken out and shot)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Mattcortes

#15 Post by Mattcortes » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:28 am

Do we really think there will be future classics? Excluding the high value cars, convertibles and 4x4s surely the complexity of new cars make them out of the reach of enthusiasts to tinker and certainly not cost effective?

My everyday Herald has a fuel leak, new needle valve £13. Catalytic converter gone £???, EGR valve needs replacing £???, Etc. This is all without factoring in that most jobs on a classic can be done with a cheap set of tools not a diagnostic machine, lamba sockets, Injector sockets etc. Unfortunately new cars are just a disposable item in the same way people don't really fix washing machines or TVs any more.

More importantly on the classic debate, Family Guy.
Matt
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1970 Triumph Herald 1360 Convertible
1978 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Mini City
1990 Mini Equinox
1969 Hillman Imp
1969 Morris Minor 1000
Scarab Formula Vee race car
5x racing karts, Rotax, pro, 100cc and gearbox.

TerryG

#16 Post by TerryG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:38 am

If you're voting family guy then Fururama has to be up there too. In another few years we can look back on it as the quaint way we used to view the future ;)

Regarding modern cars being expensive to fix, that is true to a limited extent but they go wrong so infrequently it matters less. If you have a car that you love, you will keep it running. I have a mk1 focus 2.0 in my car hoard which is definitely seen by most people as a banger but I have had it from new and it will for as long as I want it to.

Mattcortes

#17 Post by Mattcortes » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 am

I actually think a Mk1 Focus is a classic anyway. In the same way that the Ka was in this months magazine is as well. A real change of direction in styling for Ford.

I am probably just saying with the amount of electrics on modern cars I guess the hobby will have to try to keep up with the skills needed. Also the MOT tester will see an ABS light or SRS airbag light and fail a perfectly usable car which are problems the older ones will not have.
Matt
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1970 Triumph Herald 1360 Convertible
1978 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Mini City
1990 Mini Equinox
1969 Hillman Imp
1969 Morris Minor 1000
Scarab Formula Vee race car
5x racing karts, Rotax, pro, 100cc and gearbox.

TerryG

#18 Post by TerryG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 am

Fairy nuff. Most parts are still available and relatively cheap (I just ordered a pair of new front droplinks from the main stealer, £14 each). No idea what it will be like in another 10 years. I am fortunate in that I have LOADS of storage space so keep things like struts, hubs, drive shafts, various body panels, lights, etc. I even have a complete engine and gearbox for it. When someone is breaking one locally I tend to go for a rummage and see what I can get for pocket money.

rich.

#19 Post by rich. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:46 pm

red dwarf, family guy, simpsons & futurama gets my vote too..

Mitsuru

#20 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:46 pm

"rent a ghost" anybody?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!