Classic camper?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Classic camper?

#11 Post by JPB » Sun May 11, 2014 9:57 pm

EricPolymath wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions but the VW is the only one appealing to me at the moment. Is the 1.6 turbo diesel the best engine to go for or 1.9 petrol ? As has been said you don't buy a camper van to get anywhere quickly but on the other hand I do want to get where I'm going within a reasonable time!
The 1.6 is a n/a one with 48bhp, the petrol is a sweet thing but consider an LPG conversion in that case. Turbo Diesels are certainly the best idea if converted properly and come with paperwork to back up the claims made.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Phil P

#12 Post by Phil P » Mon May 12, 2014 7:24 am

Early VW Campers look good but examine the body VERY carefully. They look good but. Fortunately panels are readily available. The Car SOS one looked fairly good until we started!!!

EricPolymath

#13 Post by EricPolymath » Mon May 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Most of the ones I've seen advertised on ebay that are a reasonable price look OK until you look at the close-up photos and they have rust bubbling up along the panel joints.

JohnE

#14 Post by JohnE » Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm

TerryG

#15 Post by TerryG » Mon May 12, 2014 10:32 pm

I can see why, it's hideous!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

tractorman

#16 Post by tractorman » Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 am

It isn't just early VW campers - other similarly-sized VW commercials rot quickly - I was following a 2005/6 VW van the other day and it had rust holes along the bottom of the back doors!

Come to think of it, my friend sold his last Transit in 2010 and I think it was a 2004 and there was rust along the bottom of the sliding door. I suspect commercials are abused/neglected more - though my friend does keep his vans clean and tidy to give a good impression. The local plumbers have used VWs for 30+ years and they are usually dirty and rusting nicely by the time they are sold, though I think the last ones they sold were over 20 years old!

UKJeeper

#17 Post by UKJeeper » Tue May 13, 2014 9:20 am

Ian wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141192961524

Here is an unusual option, I've worked on this and its in lovely condition
We had a Thames! It was a standard panel van, but we (my Dad anyway, i was 8) converted it into a camper. Made a yearly trip down to the Dordogne and back with 6-8 people piled in.

A few years later we upgraded to an ex-gpo van, A Comma. Also converted into a camper. Kept it yellow and called it Busby.

tractorman

#18 Post by tractorman » Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 am

There was a Thames in the Members' Restorations two or three years ago which had loads of pictures and the bloke was doing some good stuff. I don't know how it ended as he stopped posting. It's a shame as I was enjoying his saga!

kstrutt1

#19 Post by kstrutt1 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:06 am

He is still at it on the pre 7 ford owners club forum.

89rallye

#20 Post by 89rallye » Sat May 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Ah the poor old vw always gets such a hard time :lol:

If the T25 tickles your fancy your right looking at late model ones as they are usually higher spec, I'd personally go for a 5 cylinder engine but these can be hard to get hold of now (south African imports)

I'd also pay the extra money and go for a German built Westfalia conversion, as they are built much more superior and usually are a higher spec (under slung water/gas tanks, central heating etc). Only downside is most of them are lhd.

Some of the lesser conversions (kameo is one from memory) used a panel van as a the base vehicle for there conversions which has windows cut into the body which can cause rot.

My mate has an 89 Westfalia Atlantic which is a 2.1 auto and he loves it to bits, quick stylish and fully loaded.

They don't come cheap though,

He also has quite a rare T25 Karmann coach built mk2 cheetah, which has just had a brand new tdi engine and box professionally fitted and a new timber frame fitted which he now decided to sell. Although probably too big for your needs.

I'm surprised nobody's also mentions commer campers,
Mark.